Carnival Victory Cruise Review by ricok987

Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: ricok987
Cruise Date: June 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 1A
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Victory - Canada/New England
I'm a solo cruiser that sailed aboard the Carnival Victory in June to St. John, New Brunswick, Canada.

Embarkation: Overall process went smooth and was on the ship in about a half hour of their process-although I should point out that Fun Passes are useless-and they didn't even want mine. Once on board I immediately went to the Lobby Bar to purchase my fountain fun card.

Cabin: I had an inside cabin and found that if you get on the ship early you would not be able to access your room until 1:30 PM. I had a gym bag with me so I went up to the Lido Deck until 1:30 for lunch.

Dining: I needed to change my dinner to main seating, and met with the Maitre 'd who was having troubles even though I was 1 person, and-the 2nd person in line that he saw. Food was average although my lobster tail dinner was above average so much that when my waiter asked if I wanted seconds I was afraid to get it because I didn't want any let downs. Chocolate Melting Cake was good, but I only had it 2 of the 4 nights. I am a chocoholic so I give credit to those that could have that dessert every night! My wait staff was very good, but that is pretty much the luck of the draw.

Lido Deck Food: Or as I like to think of it-college dining hall food: dried out rice, tasteless vegetables, unidentifiable meat and fish dishes, powdered eggs, canned bacon, grease, grease, and more grease. I never did get to have an omlette-as the line was huge and never moved. Carnival needs to come up with a better way to serve food on the Lido Deck, so you spend less time waiting for a meal that isn't worth spending any time waiting. I actually spent more time waiting in lines for food than I did eating it. It was like rides at 6 Flags Amusement park: Wait 45 minutes for a ride that last 2 minutes. Note: the food is NOT worth the wait. Case in point-I ate in the main dining rooms as much as possible...

Nightlife: I saw all the shows, and tried to get in to all the bars to see all the performers on board and found them to be at the least-entertaining. I also did the trivia contests, bingo, and tried my luck in the casino but won nothing.

Ship Shops: Reasonably priced merchandise, but some things are not available to purchase at all time (watches, chains, etc.) Prices seemed to go down lower each day, but then so did selection.

Shore Excursion: I spent the day on my own walking around St. John-harbor walk and hiked out to one of the reversing falls areas. Luckily, the day I was there they were having a semi-pro xgame type kayaking competition there so I found watching it very entertaining. Walking around St. John is pretty cool because the ship docks at the bottom of large hills so you can actually see the ship from miles away. I had my handheld garmin gps with St John maps loaded in it with me but I actually didn't even need it.

Spa: I used the spa to work out all during the trip but found it to be very crowded all day long.

Debarkation: I did the self debarkation and got off the ship very quickly. But, I was on Deck 6 and they never called my deck. I had to wait until they said all can debark.

Publication Date: 08/30/07