Costa Atlantica Cruise Review by julie

Member Name: julie
Cruise Date: August 2007
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
See More About: Costa Atlantica Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Atlantica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Atlantica Deck Plans
Costa Atlantica - Northern Europe
We just got back from our Costa Atlantic Fjords and Shetland Island cruise. Our first impression was great, but it went downhill very fast. The highlights of Costa were that the embarkation and debarkation went very smooth. The ship is the most beautiful ship I have ever been on (been on 5). We were in an inside state room and the room was very large and had plenty of closet space. Now, to highlight some of the warnings...the staff was the most unfriendly staff I have ever experienced! I don't know if it is the Italian way, but the staffing was horrible. The majority of the cruise passengers were Italian and the culture is very different from what I am used to as an American. Be advised, unless you want to be last in line for everything you must learn to shove and push your way in front of people. Italian is the language spoken in most all entertainment, however, they do try and speak English every once in a while, but do so grudgingly. The entertainment was horrible, as was the cruise director Clem. There are also many kids on this cruise and they seem to have rule of the ship. They stomp up and down hallways and are up until 2:00 in the morning. There did not seem to be any attempt whatsoever to control children. Even while trying to go on excursions, I was pushed and had people walking right in front of me while I was in line. I met an Italian woman and asked her why and she said it is the Italian way. I was bumped, shoved, and ignored during the entire cruise and that includes Costa personnel. The food was not very good at all. I tried steaks three different times and unfortunately I did not bring my chainsaw on board because I was not able to cut the steak with a knife because it was too tough. The shore excursions were very overpriced. Everything is in Euros and the prices were extremely high. One soft drink will cost you roughly $3.00. There was not a lot of entertainment during the day unless you like dance lessons or bridge. When I went to customer service to complain about various aspects of customer service (never complained on any other cruise, first time), nothing was done and it seemed as if they just don't care about Americans. I wish they would have just said it is an Italian ship only and I could have gone with Princess or Royal Caribbean (or any other American based ship). Bad Bad Ship experience (however the itinerary is absolutely fantastic so I highly advise the ports, just not with Costa).

Publication Date: 08/28/07