Azamara Journey Cruise Review by ninavmd

Azamara Journey
Azamara Journey
Member Name: ninavmd
Cruise Date: August 2007
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: VX
See More About: Azamara Journey Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Azamara Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Azamara Journey - Bermuda
The following is my review of my experience sailing on 08/18/07

Cabin 6000 sunset veranda

Let me just start by saying that the following review is not only my opinion but also the opinion of my fiancee and my parents who traveled with me on this sailing. With that said, let me begin....

A little background about me... I am a graduate student who has sailed on many ships to different destinations for the past 15 years therefore I have been on over 20 cruises, and have experienced the best cuisines, the best destinations and the best service. I know the bad from the good and from the ugly. I am not a beginner cruiser w/no experience.

My first impression of Azamara as stated on the website where very positive and I was very excited to get a chance to sail aboard a "luxury cruiseline". The service from the sales reps at Azamara was awful, as was w/my previous experiences with the Celebrity line. I have requested to have my room done a certain way and when I arrived on the ship my requests were not honored.

The boarding experience was one of the best experiences that I have had in the past. It is quick, painless, and very easy. I was on the ship within 10 minutes, there were no lines. I got there around 1 pm.

The ship itself is small, but it is well decorated. It lacks a show lounge, it lacks a decent size pool, however the decorations around the ship are well appointed w/dark rich wood colors and fresh flowers through out.

Our room was nice, it was well appointed and we always had anything that we requested.. (of course everything had to be requested, nothing was just given to you) Our room had a good view, because we were in the front of the ship. However, if we had bad weather then it would be really bad. It was very windy on our balcony and we couldn't enjoy breakfast there every day. You get a chance to get breakfast, tea, and savories in your room every day. You of course, had to ask for everything. Room service was prompt, but sometimes they would forget to bring you a thing or two that you requested.

The service..... Oh..boy... it was lets put it in a nice way.... SAD. The front desk people had a very bad attitude, and couldn't answer one question straight. It was impossible to book a reservation at a specialty dining room.. so do it in advance!!!! Only after we complained about the terrible service we were able to book in the speciality restaurant. They claimed that the restaurant was overbooked, but when we got in, there were approximately 10 empty tables.

The food and the service at the main dining room was mediocre. I had much better food in May on the Carnival Miracle... Seriously.. The food and the fish especially in the main dining room was cafeteria grade. I don't think it was anything special. However, the food and the service at the "specialty" restaurants was worth the extra 20-30 bucks extra. IT WAS very good!!! I loved the lobster, and the sea-bass especially. The service was also a lot better than it was in the main dining room area.

The shows--- were ok. I mean they were not big production/costumes, etc... but the people were talented and we had an ok time watching them try and amuse us.

The cleanliness of the ship.... Our room was always clean and warm and we always had great service. THe butler aka stateroom attendant tried to do his best. Idont know why they call him the butler, but whatever works for them, he is nothing but a room steward w/a nice jacket and gloves. The pool was dirty and disgusting. It had hair in the ducts, and it had hair in the showers. It was the most disgusting thing that I have ever seen in my life. I have never been so grossed out!!!

The furniture around the ship was very comfortable. Even by the pool, those chairs are very comfy, and so is the furniture in the dining room and other areas. Oh and they don't give you fresh flowers every day, we had the same flowers for the week. They were not that fresh towards the 5th day. Oh and the fruit basket was all rotten on the first day we had to say something to get a fresh one.

Over all.. If its the right price go for it. If not... don't waste your money. THIS IS NOT A LUXURY CRUISELINE!!!!! NO NO NO!!! Its a run of the mill regular cruiseline nothing special or unique!!! I would never go on this ship again, unless I was desperate and the price was low.

Well, maybe we were just expecting it to be more than it was.. that is why we were disappointed. I guess we were just used as lab rats for the employees to practice on us, before they sail out to the S.Pacific and become a real "luxury" line... Bye for now

Publication Date: 08/27/07