“Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

Karenteach Explorer of the Seas 5 Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
Karenteach
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We sailed on RCI on 8/3-8/12 out of Cape Liberty. We are a family of 4 which includes myself, husband and 2 daughters, 12 & 9. This was the first time we ever cruised so we were very excited.

We arrived at Cape Liberty at about 12pm. We checked in quickly and waited for the shuttle to take us to the ship. We were #20 and the shuttles ran fairly quickly after they began running. We were on the ship by 1PM. I was impressed at how smoothly everything went. I found RCI to be very organized for embarkation.

We started with lunch at the Windjammer. I thought the food there was quite good. There was a nice variety and we all had an excellent lunch. My husband and I had been dieting before this trip so we were very excited to eat what we wanted!!

We went to our rooms at about 2:30 PM. We had interior cabins 1351 and 1353. I knew that the rooms would be small but they were really fine. I think since we had the 2 rooms it made it easier to feel less crowded.

We registered the girls for the camp program that night. This is the only real problem I had with RCI. My 9 year old loved the camp program and couldn't wait to go there each day. My 12 year old really never did anything with her age group. There was no organized activity and she ended up spending most of the cruise with us. The few times she went to the events planned, there was nobody there and nobody seemed to care. One night she went to the inline skating time for 12-14 year olds and we had to ask someone to call the teen center to finally get someone up there. RCI has to work on a better way to entertain 12-14 year olds. The teen center was filled with much older kids and my daughter didn't feel comfortable there

The ship itself was beautiful. There was lots to do and we enjoyed many onboard games and activities. We especially loved Bingo. We actually won 3 times. A big drawback was the chair saving by the pool. If you didn't claim chairs early in the morning, you had to sit up on Deck 12 for a chair.

I thought the food was really good. We ate in the dining room every night. Menoj and Jeremiah served us and were very accommodating. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer nearly every day. I found that to be good and plentiful.

We did the helmet dive in Bermuda which was fantastic. In St. Maarten we shopped. I was not a big fan there because the bargains that were supposed to be there were not there. In St. Thomas, we went to Magen's Bay which was beautiful. I should have stayed on the ship in San Juan. It was dirty and gross.

I thought the Love and Marriage game and Quest were great. Alan Brooks, our cruise director was really entertaining and quite cute. I think I had a shipboard crush.

All in all, it was a great cruise. We plan to go on another in 2 years.

Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Explorer of the Seas Review
Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?