Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by cruiser: Pride of Aloha - Hawaii

Pride of Aloha - Hawaii

Sail Date: August 2007
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

My wife and I just completed a cruise on the Pride of Aloha. The ship is not a 5 star ship nor is it as bad as some of the reviews would indicate. We booked the air/hotel option with NCL and they did a great job. A representative met us at the airport and NCL picked up our luggage at the hotel when it was time and transferred it to our cabin on the ship.

The cabin we stayed in was cleaned at least once daily but was not turned down each evening. The turn down service was sporadic sometimes it happen sometimes it did not. All in all however the room was fine.

The food again was not 5 star but not bad. There are multiple omelet bars each morning as well as a More waffle bar. There is also all the standard breakfast fares. We were busy so we ate each morning at the buffet. We were gone for lunch each day. For dinner we ate in the specialty restaurants as well as the main dining rooms. We actually decided to use the buffet for dinner as well each night. There was prime rib, fresh pork(It was an entire pig), fresh pasta, and anything else you can imagine. The main dining rooms seemed a little confused when we asked that our food be changed. For example when I asked for a bake potato instead of vegetables my waiter seemed confused. The staff at the buffet seemed willing to prepare food especially if we asked. For example the buffet was serving shrimp pasta but my wife wanted pasta without shrimp. The staff changed what they were making to accommodate my wife. I enjoyed the food that was being served.

There are three things that would help the Pride of Aloha. First hire a more mature crew. The crew is all-american and most of the crew is late teens early twenties. many of the crew appear inexperienced t their jobs.

Second eliminate the $10 day service charge. This creates alot of confusion,the waiters seemed disappointed when people left the restaurant and did not tip. yet you can see the problem people feel like they have already tipped everyone.

Third this free style cruising creates a problem as well. The room stewards have no idea when to clean your room because you eat meals at various times throughout the cruise. You also do not have the same waiter each evening so there is no getting to know the customers. I know that there are advantages to free style cruising but it also seems to create alot of problems.

We plan on traveling the Pride of Aloha again. The price is a bargain and it was a fun ship. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>