Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by teacha50

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: teacha50
Cruise Date: July 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Norwegian Spirit - Bahamas

We spent the last 6 days aboard the NCL Spirit...this trip was for celebrating our 30th anniversary...After reading many negative reviews before our sailing, I must admit I was a bit apprehensive, however, we did have a pretty good time...

Embarkation: We arrived at 11:30 and we did have to sit for 30 minutes before they began the registration process promptly at 12:00 but once they started,it went quickly and smoothly (probably one of the quickest embarkations I have experienced)..We were not allowed into cabins until 2:00 p.m. so we went to Windows for lunch and not to the buffet where most people went and were advised by staff to go..After lunch, we walked around a bit...the ship was very clean and the staff friendly...

Our room (balcony, deck 9) was clean upon arrival and we didn't meet our room steward until later that evening and didn't see much of him for the remainder of the trip (I did find that the room was cleaned later in the evenings compared to my other cruises, often coming back to room by 9 pm and bed still not turned down, etc...luckily we don't retire to our room early...

We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants...We did have most dinners in the dining rooms and some breakfasts and lunches there as well...Windows had a better atmosphere with decor, etc..but I found the service in Garden to be superior each time we ate there....service was much slower in Windows and the wait staff in my opinion just didn't seem to be as attentive; one nice thing about the freestyle was we always got a window seat in the dining rooms as all the tables for two were around the perimeter of the restaurants; We usually ate around 6 pm and never had to wait to be seated!! Menus were varied with entrees of beef, chicken, seafood (lobster, of course is from the warm waters and hubby did not enjoy the lobster as much, probably because we are from New England and you just can't beat the Maine lobsters) and we found the portions good...Desserts were the best..my favorite being Grand Marnier souffle. If these particular restaurants were in the City and available for me to go on weekends, special occasions, etc...I don't think we would go back...once would probably be enough...The buffet was typical buffet food although I loved the French Toast and waffles at breakfast and the stir fry for lunch was cooked to order and delicious as well!!

We did spend some time by the pool and I found NCL to be lacking in the area of cruise director and staff having fun activities poolside..there were a few activities but few and far between....the shows in the evenings were typical of cruises...song and dance routines, Second City was an improv comedy team which did provide us with a few laughs; there was a hypnotist and we went to the show on the last evening and were lucky enough to get seats in the Galaxy of the Stars, however, we did not get to see much of the show as people just kept coming in and stood in the aisles blocking everyone's view...this was a major concern for me and everyone sitting around me...(all that I could think of was if there was ever a fire or an emergency, we'd never get out of there)...it was obvious that we were over capacity for that show, and I was surprised that NCL doesn't have more security aboard the ship enforcing situations such as this...and especially around the pool in the later evenings when the older teens are running around and screaming and are in and out of the hot tubs (looked like an accident waiting to happen)..also went to the Quest which is always fun for a great laugh; there is plenty and varied musical entertainment in the individual bars, etc. and found most enjoyable...the Alambre Trio were fantastic and enjoyed having a nightcap while listening to them at Champagne Charlies...nice way to end the evening....

As for the ports of call...we did not get off the ship in Orlando (we spent many a vacation there when our children were young) and we enjoyed staying on the ship with most gone...in Stirrup Cay we went to the beach party in the evening and had a lot of fun...loved being in the tender in the dark of the night with only the stars gazing down upon you (although I did find a few people who did NOT enjoy this).....in Nassau we did the walking tour (figured this would be a good activity to walk off all those excess calories we had consumed)...and did some shopping...Overall, we had a great time, but I am one of those who believes any cruise is a good cruise....and I feel cruising is the best value for your money.....the staff was warm and friendly...and the ship is beautiful and well maintained...and sailing out of New York and by Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, and seeing Ground Zero was an experience I will not forget....We did the express disembarkation which was painless and QUICK..we were promptly off the ship at 9:45!! Thank you NCL for providing us with a great vacation!!

Publication Date: 08/05/07