Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Kristin

Destination: Mexican Riviera
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Pride - USA
My cruise experience has been with Carnival Elation to the Mexican Riveria in 2000 and to Alaska with Celebrity cruise line, the Galaxy in 1998. Both times I was with my mom and dad. What great experiences! The entertainment and staff/crew were so friendly. The food was excellent and the nightlife was a blast. I hardly hung out with my parents. I met many people on the ship and there was so much to do. This years experience is a bit different.

The Pride is a beautiful ship and quite large. This ship was set up differently. The casino, theater, dining room and bars were all on the lower decks, Deck 2 and 3. Most of the rooms were between Deck 4-8. Our room had a balcony which was a nice change from the other cabins we have stayed in. The rooms were large compared to older ships. The bathroom was a decent size due to all my girly products. The room comes with a hair dryer, so no need in bringing your own. There is only one outlet, so use it for your curing iron. When I go on a cruise I want to hangout all night. So of course I like to sleep in. I felt like I was bothering the steward, for him to wait on me was a hassel. Which I felt bad. But hey, it is my vacation. He never complained. One thing I want to complain about,the sheets were never changed. How do I know? There was a stain on the sheets from when I fist arrived and was still there on the last day.

I went to breakfast twice in the main dining room, but all the other times I ordered breakfast in. If you order cereal be sure to request milk. They brought me two cereal boxes with no milk, I asked If I could have milk and they said, "NO" because I did not check the beverage section. Okay, I learned. Next time, I checked milk and OJ, they brought me milk but no OJ. Every morning something was wrong with my breakfast. About the dining room. On the way to the dining room a horrible oder leaked out from the restrooms. The whole trip I had to smell the awful stench as I walked into the dining room. The crew for our dining room table was so-so. Nothing to remember or brag about. The two guys from our Elation experience, had a sense of humor, and was so nice!!!! We even kept in touch with them for a while.

The food on the Pride was not impressive! It came out warm not hot. The lobster came out tough and was not enjoyed. The meat was so so. The starters were not exciting, and the salads were not creative. If you like fish, stick with the fish choices, I enjoyed the fish, with the exception of the "grouper". If you like lemon on your fish be sure to ask for it. Everytime I ordered fish I would have to ask for lemon, they never remembered that I liked lemon with my fish. The Mango cream and strawberry cream was very good be sure to order that, maybe two! The desserts were average, and the ice cream came out melted. The food in the buffet was blah. Nothing exciting there. The food seemed to be luke warm. I am only 27, I shouldn't be very picky when it comes to food. The best thing would be the sandwiches, Rueben sandwich. The pizza was my favorite for late night snacks.

The nightlife on the ship, was lifeless!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen such a dull crowd. The teeny boppers were the party animals. The disco was dead, but the DJ would play what you request. I spent most of my time at the Casino playing craps and blackjack. The dealers were fun! The guitar player, Tom, was fun and really good. The piano player was boring. The shows in the Taj Mahal were good. I would skip the first night in the Taj Mahal. There was no show. Just cruisers making a fool out of themselves. The second show "Broadway??" and last show "Vroom" were good. The comedians were hilarious that week.

The art aution was interesting, didn't buy any art. Someone out bid me by ten bucks. I did bid on a spa package. Later found out my package wasn't that great of a deal. Same amount as Port deals and I had to have it done on a port day. The spa treatment wasn't very extensive. One of the girls overcharged me, and I would not have realized it until my mom looked at my receipt and questioned me about paying $45 for a hair dry. The girls at the spa were not too friendly. Noses in the air, if you get my drift.

The fitness room was beautiful and the machines were great. Be sure to take a shower there. The weather was great, but a bit chilly as we were cruising. I did one excursion in Puerto Vallarta. Zip Lining, $109. Very fun. You zip line 80 feet from tree to tree. Some of the zip lines were at least 200 yards long. The guys taking us through the trees were fun and safe. They even video tape you as you fly through the trees. This sells out quick. One couple did two excursions in Puerto Vallarta, swimming with the dolphins and the zip line. They highly recommended the dolphins if you had to choose between the two. I know this was long, but I hope this info will help you.

Publication Date: 09/17/04