Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by miwinelover

Member Name: miwinelover
Cruise Date: July 2007
Embarkation: Seward
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        10-12 5+

Celebrity Summit - Alaska
Just returned from our Southbound Alaska Cruise from Seward to Vancouver. Wow what a week. We had been on the Constellation in March for a 10 day cruise and knew that the Summit was the sister ship and that it would be great. Our venture started by Staying in Anchorage and booking the Alaskan Railway to Seward. We did this on our own instead of thru Celebrity. Under two hundred dollars for two adults and two children. Also took the KENAI FJORDS NATIONAL PARK TOUR in Seward prior to the cruise, it was fantastic!

Our room on the ship was great and served its purpose. We traveled with our two boy's ages 11 and 12. They slept in overhead bunks and we slept in the two twin beds placed together. We had plenty of room. Our cabin steward told us we could store luggage under the beds, this was something we did not know so that opened up room in the closet (we has 5 large pieces). Our steward had a hard time understanding English, so we felt there was a slight communication gap, but everyday and every night the room was perfect. We highly recommend that you not pack so many cold weather clothes as we only worn a sweater one time and that was for walking the deck in the evening. We way over packed jeans and sweaters. We wore shorts and fleece with a rain jacket on the day's the weather could not make up its mind. But we had only one day of rain, (drizzle rain) and that was in Skagway.

We chose the late seating for dinner and our wait staff was beyond fantastic. We felt they went above and beyond. They even wanted to ensure we brought the boys to eat when we took advantage of the Normandy Restaurant. They insured us that they would be taken care of and that we could relax and enjoy our dinner alone at Normandy. The food was great and Iggy our waiter made recommendation of what was good, and he sure was right. Our 11 year old, even ate frog legs, fish of every kind, and great salads. All based on Iggy's recommendations.

The $30.00 charge per person at the Normandy is WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY. Dinner was fantastic. I felt that the waiter did not want me to order the soup and the Goat Cheese soufflE; in fact I thought he was rude, but I ordered it anyway. I highly recommend the Goat Cheese SoufflE and The Tomato Basil cream soup. My Husband loved the Clam Chowder. The cheese selections were fantastic, and the desserts to die for!

For excursions: We booked only the Skagway White Pass Railway for my husband and our boys and I did the glass blowing. What a treat for me. We were even served rose hip tea and crumpets. Plus the best souvenir ever is my own blown glass ornament that I got to make myself. It should arrive in 2 weeks. Otherwise we booked when we got off at ports. Juneau we rented bikes and rode out to the Alaskan Brewery and to Mendenhall Glacier, that way we went at our own pace and had a blast. In Icy Straight Point, we hired a bear seeking tour in town; it was only about a $40.00 savings. We unfortunately did not see any bears, but got to see most of the Island with a native giving us all the history. In Ketchikan, we went to the visitor center and booked an overview tour that included the Sagmore Totem Park. We saved about $78.00 and our guide was born and raised in Ketchikan, so we received all the scoop. Once again it was fantastic. We also booked the Lumberjack show at the visitor's center and saved money there also. We discovered that Ketchikan has the best pricing on Native Alaskan Art. But beware there are more jewelry stores then you know what to do with.

Enjoy the Art Auction's; the Kids Fun Factory was fantastic. Our kids did not want to leave. We insured that they went in on every port to see Alaska, but if they wanted to return to the ship in the afternoon they could. They loved all the activities and met several new friends. We felt 100% comfortable with them being in the Fun Factory. The staff was great, and they offered activities based on ages. They also offered family activities.

Overall we LOVE CELEBRITY and will return again