Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by RAMP Cruisers: Carnival Freedom - Eastern Mediterranean

RAMP Cruisers
Member Since 2007

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Carnival Freedom - Eastern Mediterranean

Sail Date: May 2007
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

On May 25 2007 we boarded the Carnival Freedom for a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. We had an interior cabin on the first deck. The room was very nice and comfortable until the banging began. It sounded like your home furnace was backfiring. This occurred every 30 minutes day and night. Needless to say, we didn't sleep the first night. I tried calling someone when I first noticed it happening around midnight. No one answered any number I called that was programmed on the in room phone. The next morning at 7:00 AM I reported it to the purser's desk and they told me they would look into it, but I needed to report it when it was happening, which I had tried to do the night before.

Next came our first excursion to the Isle of Capri. This was the one excursion that I wanted most to experience. The night before we were told to meet our family/friends in the theater where all the tours would meet. After my visit to the purser's desk to report the mystery noise, we proceeded to the More theater. The line was out of the theater into the lobby and into the dining room where it wrapped around the entire room. By the time we got to the theater again, there was a cruise staff member telling us that if we didn't have our entire family together to wait there until we did so that we could be on the same bus together. We had 4 of the 6 people together. We looked back and forth into the line but didn't see our other 2 friends. We decided to go in as we figured they were inside. As soon as we entered the theater we were given stickers for our shirts, which by the way never stayed on. Everyday another sticker, everyday it fell off. Anyway, we sat down and waited for the staff member to call the color/numbered sticker for our tour. After about 30 minutes I asked him what about our color/number. He said Oh, that left already. During the entire time we sat there they never called that color/number. They gave us a sticker for a tour that had already left by the time we entered the theater. No one bother to tell us that it had already left, was currently leaving, or whatever. In the 30 minutes we waited for them to call the color, it was long gone. Then they took us to the tour desk and offered the only other tour that was left which was not something we either wanted to do or my brother could physically do, tour Pompeii. Since we had approx. $300 a couple invested in the tour for that day, we didn't want to loose our money. Carnival offered to refund the difference between the two tours which was $60 per couple. So we went to Pompeii. Later on that evening we find out from our waiter that all we had to do to go to Capri was to walk outside and take the water transportation to the Island. No one every told us that. Why, because they would have to refund all the excursion money.

Now back to the room. When we returned from Pompeii we want back to the room that was still banging. I called the Purser's office. They sent someone from Housekeeping. That seemed odd to me, but at least someone came to listen. After about 15 minutes she heard it go off and told me that was the water system under the ship and that she and the other crew members hear it all the time, but they were used to it. That's why they didn't send an engineer to investigate the noise.

Carnival was aware of the problem all along but continued to give me the run around everytime I called, and called and called and called. Wait until this time, we are looking into it, we don't have any other rooms to move you to, we'll have it corrected in the morning. The excuses were endless. I think there were so tired of me calling that they finally found another room, 36 hours later. After two nights of no sleeping.

The bar staff was almost non existent. My husband and I are not big drinkers, but once in a while we would sit down in a lounge and expect that someone would come over at least and ask if we wanted a drink or soda or something. Most of the time we ended up getting our own drink at the bar, and then they added their 15% gratuity onto the bar tab. FOR WHAT, THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!

While I was on this vacation, not that I classified it as a relaxing one, I got a cold. Guess what, the ship was out of tissues for 4 days. What is that all about. Isn't someone in charge of making sure the vessel has sufficient amount of all items. So every morning before we left on our excursion, I cut a pile of toilet paper into 3 sheet sections so I could put them into a baggie and then into my purse. Isn't this suppose to be a luxury cruise liner, and I'm blowing my nose into toilet paper?

For a brand new ship, the layout was terrible. Crowded in the photo area. The photos are posted against the wall with only about 10 feet between the wall and the railing to the Centrum part of the ship.

Although our waiter and assistant waiter was very nice, the food was nothing special.

My husband and I cruise about 2 times per year, usually on Royal Caribbean. We are always very happy with our experiences with them.

We had only been on Carnival 1 time before and the ship caught fire. NEVER AGAIN WILL WE CRUISE CARNIVAL -- NOT EVEN FOR FREE! Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>