Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by flyingpirate

Cruise Date: May 2007
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: British Columbia
Cabin Category: M1
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | British Columbia Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
        7-9 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Pearl - Pacific Coastal
This was my 12th NCL cruise in 18 months - my husband was supposed to come but broke a tooth three days before and couldn't make it. I booked an oceanview gty for my best friend and her 7 year old daughter at the last minute and they were upgraded to a nice OV on 8!

My partner in crime, King Marcus, arrived at LAX from NC, we picked him up and ran for San Pedro only to find that embarkation was delayed due to the need for a thorough detox because of Norovirus. We were delighted to find Alex Forbes and all of our butlers (we had both been on Pearl four times before this) in the concierge lounge, and the royal treatment began!

The crowd was getting unruly, waving pitchforks and torches, as we were boarded first, even before the garden villa and deck 14 pax.  My bags were waiting at my door.

Since this was a shortie cruise, we booked a disabled minisuite, a large lovely aft cabin. At 350 sf, it was larger than an AD penthouse. As I am not disabled, (DH is) I offered it up, in case it was needed but no one did....with Alex as concierge and with Platinum perks, and courtyard access, I found the services in a mini on Pearl to be superior to an owner's suite on Dawn!

Our 7 year old, Evan, howled whenever we tried to take her out of the Kids Club! Her mom found herself planning the days around the open/close times! The activities are amazing and the care and love the counselors impart are truly awesome!

We adults enjoyed daily trivia and arts and crafts as well as well deserved lazy NAPS! Marcus spent time on the sundeck "getting a healzy glow". Having been onboard before, I didn't go to any of the shows, but it was unanimous that we would have paid to silence the piano player/singer Terry Ayers in Bar City.

We had had lunch in Summer Palace on embarkation day and it was antiheroic, so we took the balance of our breakfasts and lunches at Cagneys and dinners at Bistro, Cagney's, Mambo's. I even tried regular room service for the first time, and it wasn't bad!

On the two port days, San Francisco and Victoria, I guided local travel agents around the ship and answered their questions, always the NCL ambassador ;)

Alex got us off quickly and had us escorted through Canadian customs in a flash..we caught a "coach" to Seattle (NEVER AGAIN)and spent a night at the Edgewater Hotel, right on the waterfront, highly recommended!

All in all, a good time was had by all- dinner with Captain Sven, Michael, Susan and King Marcus....Marcus' surprise birthday party....another bridge tour...excellent, excellent hospitality from everyone. As expected from the exquisite Pearl.

Publication Date: 07/02/07