Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Kim

Cabin Category: OG
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii
We sailed on POA June 17...I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice experience we had. I had read the reviews and was somewhat concerned that our trip would be miserable. It wasn't at all. First of all the destination can't be beat. This was my 5th cruise, first to Hawaii and first time on NCL. The destination is fabulous. The ship itself was very nice. We had an outside stateroom on the 8th deck. It was small but I have been in smaller ones. It was clean and we had a very friendly stateroom attendant. We tried all the specialty restaurants and especially loved the Bistro. They do have an additional charge but if you go after 9 it is 50% off. We only went to the Palace one night. There is no charge for this one. It was very nice. We did have to wait for a table but they gave us a pager and we just hung out upstairs for about 20 minutes. You can make a reservation for parties of 5 or more. I recommend that! We didn't make it to the Crossings but heard the waiting was forever to get food. The buffet is not bad. The line can get long, if you go around to the outside and get in one of those lines it is much quicker. Or go at a non peak time. Then you get no line. The service...some people were fabulous others not so much. It appeared to me that they were understaffed and overworked. They do keep the same hours that other people on other ships keep. I am not sure the difference except that it is an all American crew. I guess its just the difference in culture. They do keep the ship pretty cold and I spent alot of my on the ship time with a jacket on or would go outside to warm up. We missed out on Kileua spilling her lava into the ocean. There recently have been several earthquakes going on and it collapsed the vent the lava was flowing from. Who knows what's in store!!! Also, Robert's Hawaii is a great way to book excursions, the ships are way over priced. Robert's has many of the exact same ones for a better deal! I suggest renting a car in Maui because the ship docks a ways away from anything. Or take a shuttle to the mall and ride the bus for $1 to some fun places!

Publication Date: 06/26/07