Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by rburns44: Carnival Destiny - Southern Caribbean

rburns44
Member Since 2003

Entertainment Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Carnival Destiny - Southern Caribbean

Sail Date: June 2007
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Destiny 6/10 - 17 sailing. This was my 12th Carnival cruise. Others I have been on are Princess, RCCL, NCL and Windjammer. Had been on the Destiny in Dec of 2003. Have been to all the islands before. We flew from Columbus Ohio to San Juan for one night pre-cruise. Stayed at the Caribe Hilton. Next day we took a cab to the ship.

I had forgotten how large the ship is. She is beautiful even considering her age. Being Platinum we got into the VIP line. Somehow my SS card was not ready. They said it would be an hour until it was ready. So we were escorted on the ship and then told to keep a low profile until I could get my SS card.

Finally got it and we got off the ship to shop in OSJ. Back on the ship and checked out our room. I had booked 1A 2334 as I knew this had large windows. It is in the very back of the ship. We were really surprised at the room. Two very large windows and the room was larger than a 4A. It had two beds on the floor. It also had a couch and a More very long shower. Very pleased with the room except for the long hallway walk. Coming back to our room and looking clear to the end was like looking in a mirror. Just looked never-ending! Room steward was Clarence and he was good. He has been with Carnival for 33yrs! At 30 years he received a ship like the ones outside the restaurants and also a cruise. He has yet to take the cruise as he is waiting to take it with his wife.

Monday took us to St. Thomas. Booked with Godfrey and it was fantastic! 3 hrs shopping and then a tour. We opted for Sapphire beach while the others in the tour went to Megans. Perfect day!

Tuesday took us to Dominica. Was here last year on WJ and did the falls, but friend had never been there so we did the falls again. Did it through the ship. Carnival shows this excursion as having "one person walking" to denote how active this tour is. I would say this needs to be changed! It was very strenuous! Also this was a long tour and bus ride to the falls and Emerald pool. Very bumpy ride, over very narrow winding roads. Several people felt carsick (bus-sick?).

Wednesday we were in Barbados. Grabbed a cab ($5pp) and went to the Boatyard. $15 to get in and that gets you a chair and a drink coupon. Had a beautiful day. Few vendors but once we said no that was it.

Thursday was St. Lucia. Did the Volcanic Mud Bath. Again a very long bus ride. Mud bath temp was over 100. I have decided I won't do anymore long bus trips. Wasn't worth it in my opinion. You are only off the bus maybe a total of 1hour.

Friday was Antigua. Spent several days here last year before a WJ cruise. It is a beautiful island and the beaches are gorgeous! We did the Mini-boats and Hidden beaches. It was so much fun. After running around in them for awhile we hit a beach for awhile. Then drove them back. Best excursion we took, next to Godfrey's!

Sat was sunning and packing!

Notes - We never made it to any shows. Spent time in the casino. And I even won. Only had two shows with the Carnival singers and dancers. Singer from the Platters was supposed to come but he missed the ship and never showed up that we know of.

Captain did not make any announcements except the first and last day. Thought that was strange. Never been on a ship where daily announcements weren't made.

Food- ok. Some good- some needed improvement. Staff was great! We never experienced any rude cruisers or kids. Maybe we were the exception!

Coming back to the states we flew into Orlando. We spent a few days there as I wanted to visit the Villages and see if that is where I eventually will end up. Must be, as while we were there I ended up buying a house in the Villages! So won some money in the casino and then spent it all and a lot more in Florida!

I have a short 5 day booked on the Inspiration for 8/18. Could thing it was paid for before I bought! Will probably be my last cruise for awhile!

Will be happy to answer any questions. It was a great cruise!

Becky Less