Carnival Victory Cruise Review by sillygirl49

Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: sillygirl49
Cruise Date: June 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8A
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Victory - Canada/New England
First time on Carnival Victory. Embarkation and Debarkation were fast and easy. I especially like the new method of self debarkation but had to stay and deal with elderly parents with wheelchair, etc., but even then it went fast and easy.

I had a balcony cabin with my 19 yr. old daughter. While it allowed us to get alot of fresh air, the trip being in June made for some very cool weather. The seas were quite rough on the trip up to St. John, NB and alot of people on the ship were seasick. My daughter spent an entire afternoon in bed and had to take dramamine practically the entire trip. It was overcast when we arrived in Canada. We took a tour to St. Martin's which was relaxing in a beautiful, brand-new bus w/tour guide who was knowledgeable. Although pricey at $80 per person, the tour was over a 5 hr. period with at least three different stops, while contracting a taxi would have cost $50 for only a one hour tour, so I thought well worth it. Not alot to do immediately near the cruise port except shop but very clean and pretty area. Lots of photo opportunities.

As for the ship itself, we stayed to the Pacific dining room for all our meals with a couple of breakfasts by room service (continental fare). I found the food to be quite good but not consistent. Lobster on formal night was the best meal for me. Much more reserved and relaxing to eat in the formal dining room than to fight amongst the diners in the buffet areas, just not my cup of tea...too many people elbow to elbow there and I don't like the fact that you serve yourself...I think about germs too much in that atmosphere. The ship was kept clean and I thought it was easy to navigate, contrary to what I have read elsewhere. As long as you know where the front of the ship is vs. the back anyway...Near each elevator is one of those diagrams showing you "you are here" so no reason to get lost. The shows were "so-so". I didn't like the "Vroom" show the last night...just too, too much singing and dancing crammed into an hour, so much so that the singers and dancers started to wilt from all the costume changes...It started out good and ended with me thinking why did I sit through this. The Newlywed Game was fun to watch though. Not a gambler, although my mother is one, but she lost her money and I didn't see many winning. Although smoking prohibited in certain areas, my daughter noticed at least the first night it wasn't enforced in some places, didn't like that.

Our wait staff was good, not great. Our cabin steward like-wise. Met him the first day, never saw him again. Cabin was kept clean and orderly though, ice filled bucket every day. He took our robes away the last night which surprised me, so I didn't have that as I had become used to after my shower...

Overall, enjoyed the cruise, but I wouldn't call it "great"...my daughter's first experience and she says she would do it again but would like to stay longer than one day at a port next time.

Publication Date: 06/17/07