Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by dyin2cruz: Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean

dyin2cruz
Member Since 2006

Family & Children 2.0
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: June 2007

We cruised the Carnival Liberty from 6/3-6/9 out of Fort Lauderdale going to Freeport, Bahamas and Grand Cayman. We were also supposed to go to Costa Maya, but it was canceled due to very rough seas and several unsuccessful attempts to dock there.

It was my family DH and 2 DD's, ages14 and 11. This was our second cruise; we cruised EnOS last summer and loved it. Also, a friend that I work with and her DH also went, they are in there mid 20's and this was their first cruise. We all live in central FL so we drove down the morning of the cruise and parked our car off site at Quality Airport Parking and Van Rental, I found this online at unitedairportparking.com. It was much cheaper than the port and they had a free shuttle that took us to the port and dropped us off with assistance with our bags. Easy. Once at the port, it was the usual lines for embarkation, took about 45 minutes to get on the ship.

It was around 1:30 at this time, so we dropped carryon luggage off More at our rooms and strolled around checking out the ship. It is absolutely beautiful, very clean and new looking. No complaints here. We found our table assignment; we got a table near the doors for just the 6 of us. At 3 it was time for our informal cruisecritic meet and greet we had arranged on our roll call. We had lots show up, probably at least 20. It was very nice to meet everyone we had been talking to on the roll call and one in the group was going to propose to his GF while aboard and we all knew and she didn't, so we had a good time keeping the secret. (She said yes on Monday night to thunderous applause in the dining room).

Dinner: We had first seating in Silver Olympian. We very much enjoyed the food and our waiters. Every night the food was delicious, loved the lobster, beef rib, prime rib, Neptune platter, rack of lamb, and many others. NO disappointment here. Same as with Royal Caribbean, we could not bring ourselves to pay extra for supper club, because we found the food excellent in the dining room. Also loved the Grill with hamburgers and hot dogs open most of the time. 24 hour Pizzeria, Deli station, and oriental station were all great. The only time I ate the buffet was the midnight Mexican buffet which was very good.

The shows we saw were the Welcome aboard and Wonderful World. They were good and we enjoyed them. The comedians were fantastic!!! Percy Crews 2 and Allyn Ball were both great. We went to their R rated and family shows and both were excellent. Newlywed game was a blast. Sea Days were fun, we laid out by the pool, watched all of the contests. My husband, "Chucky", won second place in hairy chest competition (we got a ship on stick!!!) and was a celebrity the rest of the cruise. We also attended country line dance classes, Towel animal making classes, Saturday night Fever dance classes, battle of the sexes contest and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember! We had a great time!!!! I loved the Filipino singing act in the Garden called Play That. They filled that lobby every night with dancers, they played and sang a lot of music from 60's to 80's. I spent several hours listening and dancing there. The disco was fun too, it had the younger crowd and played music and rap of today, we danced there too a couple of times. We are not big gamblers but we do like to make our obligatory donation to the casino. My husband learned how to make donations to the craps table and I always stick to video poker. The midnight deck party was fun with dancing under the stars and contests for the red, white and blue teams (they divide everyone on the ship into teams on the first night at dinner). My husband and DDs also watched a few movies on big screen on Lido, Very nice touch on this ship.

Freeport was hot and boring, straw market a joke. They had plastic purses with BAHAMAS written on them with a sharpie at one store. We should have went to Lucaya beach area and hung out there, but we didn't, so I consider it our fault we didn't enjoy this port.

Grand Cayman was very nice, good shopping and great beach. We had a shore excursion booked through shore trips.com to go on a thriller boat ride and island tour. Trop storm Barry had torn up the boat so our excursion was cancelled (refund in the bank before we even got home) so we went to Sea Grape Beach and hung out there all day. The water was so crystal clear blue and refreshing. My DH and oldest DD went parasailing. They loved it. Great day here.

Costa Maya got cancelled as I said before due to rough seas. Everyone got a $25 pp on board credit and they were pretty quick to send out new capers with activities on board for the day. We had a good day. Disappointing to miss the port but we were not going to let it spoil our fun. I did not see anyone acting ugly about the missed port. The seas were VERY rough though and many were sea sick. My youngest DD got sick too but and extra Bonine and a nap cured her in about an hour and a half.

This was a very nice cruise and I would not hesitate to sail it again. Everyone enjoyed it. My DDs thought they were too cool for CampCarnival so the oldest hung out a lot at the arcade and with new friends. The younger stayed with us most of the time and I was pleased that there always seemed to be plenty of things to do as a family. she did go to the Late Night Party for 9-11 year olds on Thursday night from 10:00-3:30 and had a very good time. They did lots of activities all around the ship and then drop them off at their rooms at 3:30. It cost an extra $26 but well worth it for a little alone time with my hubby.

I'd be glad to answer any questions. Debarkation was very smooth. We waited in cabin after breakfast until 9 am and then went to Venetian Palace and our colors were called within20 minutes. Not too long of a line. It took about 30-40 minutes to pass all lines and customs. Called the parking place, they came to get us within 15 minutes. Too bad we had to come home so soon. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>