Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Frustrated

Destination: Hawaii
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii
This was the worse cruise ever. I have been on several cruises but this was my first with Norwegian. I can say without a doubt I will never sail another Norwegian cruise.

My husband and I chose this ship for our honeymoon. Before booking I learned the ship was recently renovated. Well I don't know where the renovations were because I saw no evidence of a recent renovation. This ship is old and it is evidenced by the worn carpet, leaking faucets, and rusting balconies.

A/C/ ANYONE? Say you are able to get past the appearance of the ship - we had NO WORKING A/C on this cruise for any one 24 hour period - this was a 7 day cruise. When the A/C unit was not working the small cabin felt like a sauna - some honeymoon huh? We complained and complained and complained. We were forced to go to other areas of the ship to enjoy working A/C and relax. We found a spot in the bar area with an outlet and hooked the portable DVD player up and watched movies there. When we were off the ship, if we were in any air conditioned area - mall, shuttle, etc. - we would fall asleep. We could not fully enjoy the ports of call because we were so exhausted because we couldn't rest well at night because the A/C was broken. We were miserable whenever we were on the ship. The motel director offered us $50 in compensation! What?! That was an insult. They eventually offered us $400 in compensation. Did we feel satisfied with this offer - no way. We paid approximately $3500 for a nice cabin with a balcony and we weren't able to fully enjoy it one day. So no, $400 is an insult as well.

FOOD? OK - say you can get past the non-working A/C - when you think of a cruise you think of two things - great food and great service. WRONG ANSWER on this cruise. The food selections were extremely limited, the lines were long whether you were sitting down for dinner or choosing the buffet. Forget the long lines, after you've waited for your food you expect it to at least satisfy your pallet. Nope nope nope, Norwegian has another idea. The food was not seasoned well and just all together not satisfying.

SERVICE? What about that great service and pampering feeling? Think again with Norwegian. Service was at best average. We had to call TWICE just to have our room cleaned one time per day. One day we left the ship at 8 a.m. and didn't return until 6 p.m. only to find our bed still not made, our towels still not fresh. We called to request housekeeping and she finally came. Granted she was very apologetic, but there is no excuse for allowing the cabin to remain in that condition all day long.

THE EXCURSIONS - DO NOT BOOK AN EXCURSION ON THE SHIP! The ship is a ripoff. I would wait until you dock and then go check out some of the flyers at the dockside. At each port you are flooded with flyers for excursions and tours. In may instances the ship charges 25-50% more than local providers and the excursions are either the same or just as good. We booked a tour that cost us $19 each and it was $45 on board the ship. Both buses left at the same time and we went to the same stops! Thank God we figured that secret out after about 3 days on the ship - mind you we had already booked 2 excursions which cost us a whopping $400 - we would have spent half that had we been wise enough to check with the locals first.

PORTS OF CALL - Hawaii is a beautiful state so the islands are very nice. But aside from the problems we had on the ship I would not recommend touring Hawaii via a cruise line. Most of the islands are small and county like. I would book a hotel and stay on the beach in Waikiki on the island of Ohau and a hotel in Mauai simply because it is very popular and everyone raves about it, but there's not a whole lot in Mauai. Waikiki has the beach, the shops, all the same excursion you can get on the ship for LESS.

BOTTOM LINE - I would not recommend Norwegian to my worst enemy.

Publication Date: 06/08/07