Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by goodcruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by goodcruiser
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: goodcruiser
Cruise Date: May 2007
Cabin Category: D2
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean
My wife and I are experienced cruiser with over 20 cruises. This is my 4th cruise on RCL. Previously we have sailed mostly on Princess, most recently on HAL. We chose this ship mostly because of my daughter, age 19. My son age 22 traveled with us also. We had 2 balcony cabins. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The ship for the most part exceeded my expectations. The crew was exceptional, very friendly.

Embarkation and debarkation went as smoothly as any I have experienced. There were minimum delays. None of it has ever been great.

DINING - We all thought the food in the main dining room was very good, sometimes excellent. And our waiter was excellent. Windjammer was below average for any buffet. Other food outlets Johnny Rocket's, etc. were all good. Portofino was excellent. It was nice to be able to get a cup of coffee and pastries in the morning without going to a restaurant.

PORTS OF CALL - Labadee is a good beach, the only thing we found that was free was the volleyball and the beach chairs, but it seems like you have tip the guys setting them up. Go to the beach on the far side of the island, it's less crowded. Grand Cayman - been there a few times, this the first time we did a tour- Stingrays and Reef, don't do the reef part. If you want to see the island, rent your own jeep. Ocho Rios - did the zip line tour and it was a ball. If you want this tour get before you sail. Stay on the ship if you don't do a tour. Cozumel - just another Mexican city but the snorkeling is good. We didn't go on this ship based on ports.

Activities on the ship are endless, you can't possibly do the all. My kids fell in love with the Flo Rider. The entertainment was good. The shows are pretty typical cruise faire and are worth going to see, but nothing exceptional. Our cruise director Richard Spacy was amazing, maybe the best we have ever had. The bars and public areas are very good. The H2o zone for kids is great, it makes me think that if you have young adults between the age of 17 and 21, this may not be the ship for you in the middle of the summer.

I read a lot of comments about extra charges and fees before we went on this ship. Unfortunately it is the wave of the future and we expected it, we have seen this on other ships as well. Bar drinks are overpriced, but they have a captive audience. To me the biggest rip-off are the photos, so try to take your own pictures.

Over all we would sail on this ship again.

Publication Date: 06/07/07