Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Hornet84

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Hornet84
Cruise Date: November 2006
Cabin Category: B5
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Western Caribbean
My wife and I have been on eight cruises, three of which have been on the Queen Mary 2. We are in our early 40's with two boys ages 9 and 3. We usually go on two cruises per year. One with the kids and one without the kids. The QM2 is the one without the kids. We love this ship and here are some details of our most recent sailing.

Embarkation - Was a complete disaster. Ft. Lauderdale is too crowded and the lines on the pier were long and the organization was awful. Our first two cruises on the QM2 were out of New York and were much better organized. Broward County Ports was in charge of the embarkation process and they totally fouled it up. When I was waiting in the line in the hot South Florida sun, the Cunard representative was yelling at the Port Security guard for sending everyone to the wrong door. So people who were in line the longest wound up at the end of the line. What a disaster!! The ship left three hours late due to the many embarkation issues.

Room - We opted for an obstructed balcony (B5 category) as it was much cheaper and a little more roomy than the high priced balconies. The room is typical Cunard. Organized and neat. We received our complimentary bottle of champaign and chocolate covered strawberries from the Cunard World Club staff. The room attendant was friendly and our room was always clean. The Cunard pillow chocolates are the best I have had.

Dining - We love the food on QM2. The Britannia is great and the alternative choices of Lotus (Asian Fusion), La Piazza (Italian), The Carvery (Steaks), and The Golden Lion Pub (Fish and Chips at lunch) are all great as well. Nothing like fresh fish and chips with a pint of Guinness for lunch. YUM!!! All of the venues mentioned above are at no extra charge. We ate at Todd English ($30 per person cover) the last night of the cruise. The food was very good, but very rich and very heavy. If you are eating there for dinner, starve yourself all day. I felt like a bloated whale when leaving the restaurant.

Public Rooms - Are all beautifully appointed, but not opulent. Cunard tradition is a very understated decor. This is too my liking more than glitz. The Canyon Ranch Spa is where we spent alot of time and ran up a large bill. Wonderful massages and body treatments. I had three massages and my wife had two massages and a mango sugar glow wrap. She loved it. The therapy pool is great too!! We also loved the Connoisseur's Club located on deck 9 above the hair salon. It is a quiet and elegantly appointed bar. My wife and I enjoyed before dinner drinks there on three of the nights. We could talk about the day's events without having to yell at each other. We stayed away from the Casino as we do not gamble. The only real dull area on the ship is the Wintergarden. It is a very nice lounge, but rarely used for anything except the art auctions, which we avoid. We also like the availability of self laundry, which is free.

Ports - Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We had been to these ports before except for Costa Maya. We took a very long excursion to Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. It was fun, but the ride to and from took away from the quick 90 minutes we had at the falls. We walked and shopped in Grand Cayman and in Cozumel. My wife bought a beautiful ring at Goodmark Jewelers in Cozumel. We took a highlights tour in Costa Maya, which is really underdeveloped and poor. The authentic Mexican lunch was great and the beach was great. The town of Mahahual is a dump.

Entertainment - The shows were ok. The comedian was the best. I like the shows on Royal Caribbean better. The Cunard shows tend to be a little artsy fartsy for us. We avoided most shows and had fun at the planetarium, a must see, and the various lounges and at the pools. A fresh water solarium with a retractable roof!! I love that pool. The main pool is also large and alot of fun. Plenty of deck chairs. We never had a problem finding one. The wait staff on the outer desks is excellent. I never had to flag anyone down to get a drink.

Service - The service is very good. Some minor glitches, but nothing worth mentioning. I think Royal does it a little better, but it is close.

Disembarkation - Another total disaster. We are never going out of Fort Lauderdale again. Only three customs agents for over 1600 guests. Totally absurd!!

Overall - For the third time the QM2 was great!! We had seen most of the ports before, but getting on the ship again was well worth any hassle we experienced going to and from the ship.

Publication Date: 06/05/07