Westerdam Cruise Review by Light

Cruise Date: May 2007
Embarkation: Civitavecchia
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: VA
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Westerdam - Eastern Mediterranean
My husband and I traveled on the Westerdam. We were a bit disappointed in a few aspects of this cruise. When we arrived the air conditioning was down. They did not have it fixed for about 5-6 hours. I was amazed at the fact we had to endure this w/ very little mention or apology from Holland American staff...(not a big deal? try unpacking in a room that is 80 plus degrees and you cant open a window..the room being 300 sq ft!) We were thankful when it was fixed and because of the heat it did not become comfortable till the next day. The age level on the ship are severely ELDERLY. We are middle aged 30's and everyone there looked like my grandparents. Sweet but pretty much lights go out at 10:30! I didn't mind that too much but if your looking for any sort of adventure you better find another cruise line. WE didn't want a Carnival and party cruise but we would have liked to see more people there our own age. The food was fabulous but you get this feeling that Holland America is nickel and diming you to death. NO water then hey you have their 6 dollar bottles! Its a feat to get the pitcher of ice water...we didn't give up we just kept ordering it every few hours but I really never felt like I could get enough water in our room that was drinkable. If you want good food its extra..30.00 cover charge, if you want food other than the room service (that is not near the quality of the lido or the dining) then you need to make sure you hit their exact times on the lido. The food there some is good some is substandard...like the Sushi was gross! but the pizza or pasta dishes were pretty good. Buy their tours you get off sooner, need contact lens solution? be ready to be gouged and pay 10 bucks. I mean it got pretty old after a while the continual sell job. I dont like their tip system. They give the ones who really work hard to service you only like 3 bucks a day from your 10 bucks...the rest will go to the chef... NOW you tell me do you tip the chef at your local restaurant?? of course not but you do here... I mean can holland america not pay their people or can we get a discount on their rates? I dont know it wasn't as nice as described on the site (no special dvd tv..that ate up too much room the old tv) how hard would it have been to get it and then advertise it? Do they discount when they dont come through?? no! The internet service was the biggest rip off to me My husband paid to work it was 11 mpbs and took 8 times as long to do anything to send one -7 emails it took him 45 minutes. thats not writing thats just trying to upload ! know how much they charge? 75 cents a minute for substandard internet. Want a cappuccino...2.60 please! I mean come on! So no holland american... maybe before carnival took over they were better off but now no way Id go this line again.

Publication Date: 05/24/07