Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Deidre427

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Deidre427
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Deidre427
Cruise Date: May 2007
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: OS
        Under 3 4.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda
EOS Bermuda & Caribbean May 11

We arrived at Cape Liberty around noon, thinking we were early and that it would be a breeze getting on the ship. Boy was I wrong. When we arrived there were so many people, we had to wait in the security holding area while they filtered the hundred or so people who had been there even earlier. Cape Liberty and RCL staff were not too sure about what to do, seemed like they were all new, we were in an Owners Suite and were told we would have a Special embarkation line, with the Crown & Anchor Diamond members, no one knew what we talking about. How is it possible to maintain a job and not know simple answers to questions? I know I would be fired. When finally made it to the "Special" check in thing moved a little faster. The shuttle bus to the ship is quick and easy, I know a lot of people have complained about this but it must be because they bring too many carry-ons.

We were in Owner's Suite 1308. The room is big and spacious; the balcony is small, same size as a balcony stateroom. The room is starting to show wear. I know it is 7 years old, but I think people just abuse what is not theirs and so it ages faster than normal. The bathroom was nice as well, big Jacuzzi tub, stand up shower, double sinks, plenty of drawer space, a toilet and a bidet. Do people really use these things? Location of the cabin is horrible, during the nights, deck chairs were never tied down and they screeched along the floor, the noise woke us up every night and then the night of the pool buffet, the crew made the most noise I have every heard taking the tables apart. The banging went on for 2 hours. I called Gust Relations and asked why the most expensive room were in the worst location and they had no answer for me. They did say they were going to talk to the night crew and ask them to be more quiet. Which brings me to my next point.

Guest Relations

I have never been treated so badly by any staff ever, on any vacation, cruise or resort, in my life. I consider myself a very lucky person and have the ability to vacation 3-4 times a year, so I deal with a lot of Guest Relations staff. I would have to say RCL has the worst.

Windjammer

Food was pretty good but pretty much the same everyday, Salad bar, hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, sandwiches, and a few specials that changes daily, i.e. Chinese, Indian, Moroccan, Fried Chicken. And plenty of desserts as well as 2 soft serve yogurt machines. The food is good, we still not starve but we did get sick of it for lunch everyday. Had breakfast here also and it is definitely better than the lunch menu. Also at 3 pm they have afternoon snacks (small sandwiches, scones and cookies).

Johnny Rockets

Ate here once and did take out once. The food is yummy, the service is slow.

Main Dining Room

We had requested a table of three with a high chair. When we got onboard the first thing we did was head right for the Maitre'd. We were put at a table for 8. We asked to change and there was very little problem doing so, with a big tip of course. The food again is good; I would say 3 star restaurant quality. The presentation is better than the food itself which is the disappointing part, everything looks so good, you expect it to taste as good and when it doesn't you are disappointed. Again you will not starve and even if you don't like the menu for the evening there are daily choices like salmon & pasta everyday.

Room Service

Used almost everyday for breakfast, I am not a big breakfast person so we mainly had continental breakfast and a big pot of coffee. It was fresh and always on time. We also had dinner one night in the room, we ordered from the Dining Room menu, it was hot and presentation was nice.

Spa

Spoiled myself as a Mother's Day present and booked a spa treatment everyday! It is smaller than some cruise ship spas I have been to but the staff was amazing.

Passengers

A lot of mean old people if you want my opinion. In no way am I ageist but why to elderly people think they can push and shove their way through lines? We are in our early 30's and traveled with our 21 month old daughter. We tried to keep her in the stroller as mush as possible when we in lines so that we could keep her contained. I ALWAYS say "excuse me" when I am walking by someone, why do old people think they can push anyone down to get in front of people? Also why is it the people who are in wheelchairs and scooters that need assistance and special treatment from crew are the first people to start smoking the minute they get into fresh air? If they are so handicapped or disabled, should they be smoking? We also received a few rude comments from older passengers. Ie "why did you bring your daughter?", "she won't remember it, what a waste of money", and "couldn't her grandparents watch her for the week?" It took every ounce of my being to not tell them where to stick their canes. Oh well. For as many rude people there were also so many sweet people, who said they wished they could vacation with their grandchildren and the table of people behind us in the Dining Room who didn't know we had a toddler with us until on the last night when we said goodbye to our Head Waiter and my daughter started screaming "BYE BYE Caesar".

Going Home

Disembarkation is explained in a lengthy video they plan on TV and in the Cruise Compass they leave in your room. We had Light Blue tags which meant we were the 3rd color to be called off the ship. Concierge said we would be called around 10, we were not called until 10:30 and when we were called we were with 2 other colors. It was chaos! And all the talk they give you about not standing near the gangway is BS; they were so many people congregating, it was almost impossible to get through. And of course it was elderly people, pretending they didn't know. Please, these people have been on more than enough cruises to know the rules and are just trying to get away with bad behavior old. Waiting to get on a shuttle was long, too many people with carry-ons that caused the shuttles to be ½ full with people. Once at the terminal we found our luggage, cleared customs, found our driver and were on our way home. All in all we were home by 2 pm. Moral of the story, unless you are old or don't mind rude people, RCL is not the cruise line for you. I am going back to Norwegian.

Publication Date: 05/22/07