Carnival Elation Cruise Review by lucigo

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 6D
Cabin Number: E207
See More About: Carnival Elation Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        3-6 5.0
        10-12 3.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Elation - Bahamas
Day #1 We arrived at Port Canaveral and got on the boat nice and early, around 11:30. The Elation is really nice, its newer than its sister ship the Fantasy and nicely decorated. Once we got away from port it got really windy and we were really rocking for a couple of hours. I made the mistake of not packing a jacket. I know better!! By dinner my 12-yo DD and I were both really queasy. When we got to the dining room we found we had been put at a large table, so I talked to the maitre d' and he moved us to a really nice isolated booth for the benefit of my barely 4yo DS who has autism. Once we got to the safety of our booth he did great through dinner, although too sick to eat. DH went and got both of us some seasick pills (meclizine) at the front desk which really helped a lot. After that kicked in I ordered room service, which typically took about an hour to receive. We splurged and went to the gift shop and bought jackets...later was kicking myself as it was one of the few that didn't get marked 75% off the next day as the Elation is leaving for San Diego and won't be needing anything that says "Caribbean" anymore!

Day #2 I went up for breakfast and was crushed to find there was no omelette man, but I did find a chocolate muffin. After being on the Atkins diet since February it was quite a decadent delight! Otherwise the breakfast wasn't too great. Found out later the omelette man on the Elation hides in the Lido Deck area and not in the Tiffany's area as on other ships I have been on. Camp Carnival was wonderful with my son, they had staff trained in autism and did an A+ job with him.

Day #3 Grand Turk I love this port! It was a little overcast and rained just enough to get the deck wet and then it was nice. The beach, a small shopping area and a huge Margaritaville are just right off the ship. There is no need for an excursion. DS loved the pool at margaritaville , and this time it was fresh water instead of salt. Later we went to the beach (right next door). DS and DH did a little snorkeling and then we went back to the pool for a while and enjoyed the music, sun, etc. At 3pm DS and DD went to camp carnival and learned to make towel animals. I was just glad they let the 12yo in the same room with the 4yo so he could acclimate to being there.

Day #4 Half Moon Cay After our rocking and rolling on the first day I really didn't think we would get a chance to see Half Moon, but we actually pulled up and anchored. Then we waited. Apparently their tenders weren't working! We got a tender ticket and waited. Finally around 12:30 we made it over to the beautiful private island. Again with the snorkeling and hanging out at the beach. DS found a hammock and we played in that for a long time. They have the kids slide area blocked off, which was a huge disappointment as he played for hours on that last trip. Tonight was a beautiful sunset! After dinner we did a family picture, and did end up buying one. Our cruise-mates also had their little boy, so we met up at the goofy golf place and the boys pushed their doll strollers around on the uneven surfaces and had a great time, then came back down to the cabin and visited for a while, while DD blew bubbled and read the boys books. Found out DH participated in some karaoke that night...and didn't get thrown overboard! LOL

Day #5 Nassau We considered not getting off the ship here, but in the end we took a taxi to Atlantis. DH and DD drooled over the Disney ship as we walked past...I can see it will probably be in our future, not looking forward to paying for that one! We didn't pay to go through the digs, BTDT, so there were a few areas I had hoped to go to that they wouldn't let us to, like the waterfalls, but we were able to see the aquarium and walk through and the hotel. It was worth the trip over. We walked through the shop area and took a water taxi back to the ship. I took DS swimming at the baby pool as we were taking off. After our swim I found DD and we walked around until dinner time. The show that night was entertaining, the kids liked it.

Day #6 Disembarkment Very smooth, no issues other than we didn't hear our luggage tag color called so waited probably an hour longer than we had to, when finally he recapped them and we realized we had been called a long time ago! We were off the ship and out the door without a long wait. So that was our cruise...

Publication Date: 05/19/07