Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by TTATE1966: Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean

TTATE1966
Member Since 2005

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: May 2007

Hello to all that are reading this review. To start, this was my second Carnival cruise, and my fiance's(Shana) first. I knew what to expect, but was thoroughly surprised with what a difference a ship makes. This was the first vacation that we have taken together, and I can honestly say, that my fiance' is addicted, and so am I.

Our flight out of Philadelphia Intl. Airport on May 5, 07 was great. I was surprised by this, because PHL, is notorious for being a mess. One of the blessings that was bestowed upon us was that we had a tail wind, and got into Fort Lauderdale 45 minutes early. We met up with new friends, Ang and Keith, who we met on a thread here, and shared a cab to the Carnival Liberty. It took no more than 40 minutes to get onto the ship. This was a far cry better than the hour and half it took for my last cruise on the Carnival Victory. Everything was ran smoothly, and the Carnival Staff were very helpful. Getting onto the ship, you are directed to go and start More your account with your sign and sail card. This took no more than 15 minutes. Ang and Keith went to their room, as did Shana and I. The room wasn't ready for us, but our steward, who was very friendly, let us put our carry on in the closet and we made our way to the Lido Deck for lunch. Let me tell you, our cabin was on the Lido deck, and we only had to walk 100 meters to make it to where all the fun times were happening. That was a convenience. We met up with more friends from the cruise critics thread, (Ang, Keith, Adam, Ora, Shannon, Buddy, Bobbie, Keri, Jay, Jen, Step, Kris, Amy, and Luke. ) What a great group of people!!! We love you all!!! We all went to the top deck and took pictures and said, " goodbye " to Fort Lauderdale.

The best thing about the cruise is the fact that you will never go hungry. Food is all over. You have the 24 hour pizza parlor, a grill that serves hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, chicken wings, some sort of rolled mexican tortillas, then you have the buffet, a sandwich making parlor, fish and chips, a sushi bar, you name it the Liberty has it. Even when you have a late night, you can order room service for sandwiches and cookies. The food is mostly buffet style, so do not expect gourmet cousine, you have to have an open mind, and think Old Country Buffet. If you eat in the dining room, you are at an eloquent setting, and the food is much better. Though the portions are a little small, I solved this by asking for two entrees. Which my server, Maggie, who was a dream, was pleased to give to me. Thank you, Mags.

Back to our stateroom. We had an inside room. I like this for expense and because Shana and I are late nighters. We do not like the sun in our faces in the morning, after being up late. Before the cruise we requested that the double beds be put together, and that was done, before we got on the ship. I like that kind of efficiency. The stateroom was spacious and we never had a problem with cleanliness or lack of towels. Our steward made sure that we had all we needed, and always had ice, and a towel animal for us every night.

Ports of Call: Our first stop was Freeport. I have nothing great to say about Freeport. Nothing at all. Took some pictures, did some shopping, and got back on the ship. Carnival should skip this port, and in the future, I will avoid any Carnival ship that has this stop on it itinerary. Grand Cayman was our second stop, and this by far was the best stop, because Shana and I booked an excursion online that made the whole day. I never book through the cruise line, because of limits and cost, so I booked a excursion that had wave runners, and a tour to stingray city. This is a " must do " excursion, because the stingrays are something you have to experience. Our tour guide was cool, and gave us alot of lead way on the wave runner, because we were the only ones on the tour. What an experience!!! After the excursion, we all met up at the famous Margaritaville. We all sat at one table shared food, and had the great time. A true highlight of the day. The prices in Grand Cayman are deceptive, so be careful, but all in all a great day. Ang and Keith, thank you for paying the bill. You two are the best, and we hope to return you generously one day soon. Our next stop was Costa Maya, and this was a great day also. Shana and I booked and excursion to the Mayan Ruins. This was a good excursion, but I could have done without the 45 minutes drive to the ruins and the 45 minute drive back, but all in all it was very informative, and we learned alot about the Mayans. The ruins were breathtaking. After the excursion, we met up with our cruise friends, at the famous Cat's Meow. The food was excellent, and the drinks were even better. Just ask Shannon, Buddy, Amy, and Luke. You guys were the funniest. Luv ya!!! Shana and I did some more shopping, and got massages for 45 minutes on the beach for 20 dollars. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. One thing about Costa Maya, the people are a bit pushy, and will try to sell you everything. You can barter with them, and get some nice things, if you like to barter. If you don't want to be bothered, just say, " No gracious ", and they leave you alone, most of the time.

Our fun days at sea were great, and on the first night of our fun day, Adam suggested that we all dine at Harry's Supper Club. If there is one thing that you must do on this cruise, you must partake in Harry's. The service was impeccable. The food sumptuous, but so worth it, and we could eat this way every day of our lives. There were 8 of us, Ang, Keith, Shannon, Buddy, Adam, Ora, Shana and myself, and Buddy is my newest hero. He ate a 24 ounce steak, that I know he is still digesting to this very day. Way to go Buddy!!! What a great night to spend with friends. After which, Shana and I changed clothes and went to the casino where I won some good money. I am a craps player, and it helped pay for alot of things. Thank you Carnival for having a casino, it really helps you save money if you know what you are doing. I taught Keith how to play craps and he walked away with alot of money, and now he is addicted. Keith remember its all about Ang. The one and only complaint I have about the whole cruise is the DJ in the dance club. He was absolutely horrible, and should have been stranded on the nearest deserted island. Shana and I love to dance and have a good time, but he made it so bad, that we left the club early many times, because of the DJ. He was in the way and a waste of time. Jay could have done much better, if given the chance. All in all Shana and I loved the Liberty, and will cruise on her again in the future. The staff was fantastic, we had a wonderful cruise director, some activities you can live with and some you can throw out, but if you want to have a good time, The Carnival Liberty Fun Ship is the place to be. One other thing... They say the shows are Las Vegas style, forget about that, I have seen high school productions that were better, but the late night adult comedian was funny, in an insulting way. As I have said, we will cruise again with Carnival in the future. Look at The Carnival Valor for our next cruise next May. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>