Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Aquahound: Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean

Aquahound
Member Since 2006
15,268 Posts

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: May 2007

As I do with every cruise out of Miami, I showed up at the pier about 10:30. Embarkation was quick and painless. We began boarding at about 11:30.

Once aboard, I proceeded directly to the Windjammer for lunch. The Windjammer food is exactly the same as it always has been. But, I'm not complaining because I think the food is great.

We were able to get into our room at 1:00. We were in corner, aft 9690. This is a category E1 balcony room. The room was clean, and very nice. The room attendant, Marites, was very friendly and gave excellent service. This room was unique, in that it had a glass door instead of a slider leading to the balcony. Beside the door was a huge, round window big enough to sit in. The bedding was very, very comfortable. The balcony was had two lounge chairs, two regular chairs, and a small table. There is no cover on this balcony, so it was excellent for sun bathing.

The overall condition of the ship was great. To find signs of wear and More tear, you really have to be looking for them. Other than burned out lights here and there (especially trim lights in the theater), the ship was in good working order.

The Cruise Director, Allen Brooks, was one of the funniest I've seen. However, him and his staff seemed to be out of their element on a 5-night voyage. There was no parade, and the ship seemed to lack energy the first couple of nights. The Welcome Aboard show started at 8:00, so many people from Main Dining missed it because it had already began when dinner was over. The Cruise in Review video was shown the second-to-last night instead of the last. The only production show was on the last night, and it was one of the worst I've ever seen (Fast Forward). There really was no Farewell Show, other then the Cruise Director reciting the usual "Stupid Questions."

The Promenade finally came alive on the forth night for the 70's party. The Quest was the same night. The one show that is worth mentioning was The Mosaics. They are an acappella group from Las Vegas, and they were excellent. Also, the Ice Show, Planet Ice, was fantastic, as usual.

The dining room staff was excellent and I don't have a single complaint about the food. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our requests.

Portofino was top-notch. The Filet was very tender and the portions were large.

Labadee was beautiful. The jet-ski tour was alot of fun.

In Ocho Rios, we did The Original Canopy Tour. I highly recommend this excursion. Once you get over the fear on the first zip-line, the rest is very enjoyable.

Overall, it was a great cruise. The Voyager Class ships are still on top of the cruising industry as the best ships afloat. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>