Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Adeena62

Cabin Category: 8B
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean
Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived at the port at around 1:00 and there was a line outside of the terminal. I was a little worried but as soon as we joined it, it moved very quickly. From the very beginning to the time we actually set foot on the ship, only about 15-20 minutes had passed. I have heard many complain that the ships decor was gaudy or tacky. Yes, it was a little 'loud' and flashy, but that is what made it so fun. I ended up thinking most of the ship was very nice. The only room I found to be unattractive was the Amber Palace.

We booked a balcony room and are so glad we did! We actually spent a lot of time in our rooms to relax and ever ate breakfast out on our balcony. It offered complete privacy and was outfitted with two chairs and a small table. It was a great way to escape all of the crowds and the noise. The room itself was spacious and comfortable. I was impressed with the closets and all of the storage space. Our room stewards were fantastic. We would leave our rooms at different times each morning, and every time we came back, our room was made up and the bathroom cleaned. I don't know how they new each time we left, but we never saw them until the last day of our cruise. We were never interrupted by them once! At night when we came back from dinner, our bed would be turned down, and our capers and a towel animal would be waiting for us. They even had found an earring I had lost, and left it on the dresser for me.

The service in the dining room was OUTSTANDING! Our waiter was Libor from the Czech Republic. We loved him, and his assistant was Elena from Croatia. Also very nice and did a wonderful job. Our bar waitress always had drinks waiting for us when we arrived. We had another waiter Mohammed from the Philippines one night. What a sweetheart! Whenever we saw these people at other times during our cruise, the always said hi and greeted us by name. The entertainment during dinner was great. We had a lot of fun watching everyone put on a show for us. We were actually a little sad at our last dinner because we were going to miss these people we had gotten to know so well. Service was so good that we ended up giving away an extra $145 in tips, on top of the $140 that was automatically charged to our account.

Food was very good. We had lobster, prime rib, beef wellington, everything was great. For lunch we always ate up on the lido deck. The grill, the pizzeria, and the deli served wonderful food, and it was nice to be able to eat out in the fresh air. We ate in the Red Sail restaurant every morning for breakfast. The eggs were always watery but other than that, the rest of the food was good. The 24 hour juice bars were great, as were the 24 hour ice cream stations.

Entertainment was the only area that we thought needed improvement. We went to two comedy shows and a magic show. The comedians were pretty good. The magic itself was amazing, but during the performance, you would have dancers run out in hideous costumes and do these dances which didn't seem to go with anything. It was all very odd. It seemed like a David Copperfield show suddenly invaded by Backstreet Boy rejects. And not to be mean, but they had a featured singer who we thought was HORRIBLE! Her voice was very shrill, and I almost walked out because her song just would not end! She was actually hurting my ears. All of this was unnecessary during a magic show. And because we saw her name featured in the other shows throughout the week, we avoided them.

During the day there were many activities to keep people occupied. Even so, we spent most of the days at sea up on the decks lying in the sun, or sitting out on our balcony relaxing. We didn't book our shore excursions through the ship, we did them on our own. We were not impressed with Nassau, Bahamas. We loved St Thomas and St Martin though. Beautiful islands with friendly people. We would sail the Eastern Caribbean again.

Debarkation was a mess. They told you 'self assist' was the easiest fastest way to exit the ship. This means you carry off your own bags. They would call you by deck, but never waited long enough to make the next announcement. Most of the elevators were shut down to they could use them just for baggage. This means my husband and I along with most others carried all of our bags down 7 flights of stairs. You would get stuck just standing in the stair well because the lines were not moving. After we finally got off the ship back into the terminal, we were told we could not take the escalators because we had more that one bag a piece. (We already carried 2 suitcases a piece down 7 flights of stairs by ourselves, but we can't use the escalators?) So we had to wait in line with others for a SINGLE elevator. And this was a small one. Just my husband and myself with our 4 small suitcases filled the whole thing. Seriously, only 2-3 people could get on at once. It took forever. We were not very happy. This part was not the ships fault however, this was back at the port terminal.

When all was said and done, we loved our vacation. The ship was great, and the service was fantastic. We would be happy to sail on the Glory again.

Publication Date: 05/06/07