Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by stemit1

Destination: Southern Caribbean
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean
My wife and I and 3 other couples booked this cruise over a year in advance. This was our third cruise but first with Celebrity. We let Celebrity book our flights as this was not a round trip cruise and the price seemed very reasonable. There were no disappointments with the air arrangements, in fact I could have not done better had I booked the air myself. Celebrity put us up at the Marriott north Fll, which is a fair distance from the airport and terminal but with 5 cruise ships in port at the same time I understood why. The transfer from the hotel to the ship went smooth and without much hassle. I have to say that getting on the ship was the smoothest experience I have had cruising. I think it was 15 minutes from the time we got off the bus until I had my glass of champagne.

This cruise was on that we had been wanting to do since we discovered cruising 10 years ago so expectations were high to say the least. I will say right now we were not disappointed. As far as the ship goes, the Summit was very nice, clean and well taken care of. The artwork on the ship was not to my liking and looked as if someone very strange had picked it. To be honest I really don't care but just an observation. The crew was very friendly and helpful and some where a highlight of our cruise.

The group of 8 that I traveled with are in their late 30's to early 40's and I would say the average age of the rest of the cruisers were in their late 60's to early 70's so their was quite a bit of age difference but this did not stop us from having fun. Their was little to no night life on the cruise and our group was often the only ones up past 11pm and we had the only nightclub on the ship to ourselves almost every night. I admit it would have been nicer to have had more people our age but you work with what you get and as I said we still had an excellent time. The evening entertainment was hit and miss with us (again due to our age some of the entertainment was geared towards the older age cruisers). The casino was nice and the staff was fun to be around. Dinner was fantastic. We had late seating so we didn't have to rush around getting ready for dinner while there was still time to lay out by the pool. Our waiter was a great man who did very well to accommodate our group. We did not do the specialty dinning option as the food we were being served was exceptional and found no reason to do the other option.

About halfway through the cruise there was a virus outbreak and the crew was everywhere cleaning and serving us so to try to contain it. I am happy to say that none of us got sick and that Celebrity did an excellent job keeping us healthy.

The only problem we had was a sprinkler pipe in our cabin ceiling developed a leak and got our entry floor very wet. We notified the front desk and they offered to move us to another cabin. We declined as they were fixing it and we did not want to pack up to move down the hall. They surprised us the next day with a free bottle of champagne and fruit delivered to our room. Nice touch for a small problem that really wasn't a problem for us.

Overall I would give this cruise a big thumbs up. I do think that they do overcharge for drinks, not that it stopped us from spending a lot for them. We were able to offset some of the cost by having cocktail hours in our cabins with the bottles we smuggled on at various ports.

Publication Date: 05/01/07