Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Meig

Entertainment Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
We flew out of Chicago O'Hare the morning of the cruise. Got to Miami without a hitch and took a taxi to the port. Taxi fees were $31 (including tip) and the ride took about 20 minutes with traffic, and we arrived at the port around 1:00pm. Embarkation was smooth. We choose to carry our luggage on since we didn't have large bags. Since we had already had out SetSail pass printed out, check in took about 15 minutes from waiting in line to walking into the ship itself.

The Majesty is looking good. Everything was clean and neat, and you could tell she had just recently had a renovation because most everything looked almost brand new. She's 15 years old, so on the outside you can see that she has multiple coats of paint, and there is some rust here and there, but in general the ship was in very good condition.

We went directly to our room and it was ready for us. Even though the rooms are small on this ship, there was plenty of room for the two of us. There were times when it was a bit tight, but it wasn't as cramped as I had feared it would be. The room itself was in great condition. The new bedding is very nice, and the fact that you don't end up in the crack between the beds any more is a bonus. The bathroom was small but there was plenty of room to do what you needed to do in there. Everything was spotless. The toilet worked fine and the water pressure was excellent. The hallways were always clean, but after the first day there was an occasional odor that came and went. It was definitely a bathroom smell, but since it wasn't a constant, it wasn't terribly annoying. I had read reports of this before the cruise, so I wasn't surprised by it. As I said, though, it came and went.

Service was excellent. The crew was friendly and willing to help, and our cabin attendant, Arthur, was really great. He introduced himself the first day and was always around, asking if everything was ok.

As for food, we didn't eat in the dining room at all. My husband and I don't feel like dressing on vacation, so we don't. Since we will not wear shorts to the dining room, we eat in the Windjammer. The food on the first day was very good. After that it wasn't as good but there certainly was always a good selection. I was disappointed that there was no pasta station on this cruise like the one we had on our Enchantment cruise back in 2003. There was a pasta area, but no one was there to make fresh sauce as had been the case on our last cruise. I really missed that because I didn't think the pre-made sauces were very good. Johnny Rockets was fun, and the food there was good, but eating there once was enough. Sorrento's pizza was decent, and a good late-night snack. Freeze was very good...except they ran out of vanilla ice cream halfway through the second day of the cruise. I found that kind of bizarre, as vanilla is such a popular flavor that they should have really stocked up on it. Because of that, we only had Freeze once.

For activities, there certainly was plenty to do, but my husband and I preferred to just relax so I don't have any reviews. The only show we went to was Love and Marriage, and it was hysterical. Hamish is the CD, and he was very funny.

Disembarkation was somewhat annoying. We had a late flight so we decided to stay on the ship as long as possible. If anyone decides to do this, do not rush down as soon as the final call is announced because you will be standing in line for at least 40 minutes. We had been sitting by the pool and when the first final call was announced at around 9:40, we went down to the 4th floor. We got there with a bunch of other people and we didn't get to customs until a little after 10:30. I would suggest that if you have a late flight you just wait up by the pool until at least 10:00 or maybe 10:15am. There was one more final call announced while we were standing in line, and next time I will be waiting for that one before heading downstairs. I don't think this was the fault of RCI, however, but just of the whole customs issue since only so many people can go through at one time.

All in all, we really had a nice time. People were very polite, the kids on board were barely noticeable, and it was pretty low-key. I would definitely recommend Majesty for a nice weekend getaway.

Publication Date: 05/01/07