Costa Magica Cruise Review by Juno1117

Costa Magica
Costa Magica
Member Name: Juno1117
Cruise Date: April 2007
See More About: Costa Magica Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Costa Magica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Magica Deck Plans
CostaMagica - Western Caribbean
So after reading all the bad reviews I tried to keep an open mind about my vacation. My aunt had been an a Costa cruise before (not Magica) and said it was fabulous. Since it was Easter and my entire family was going (mom, dad, sisters who are 18 and 20), grandmother, aunt and my boyfriend (we are both 24), I decided to go.

Embarkation: When we all arrived, I thought it was going to be a breeze going through security since there wasn't a line of cars getting into the terminal. As we stood in line, it seemed as if everyone was allowed to cut in front of us. Everytime we were getting ready to go through security, someone else came up and jumped in front. Once we got through security, we than stood in line for another hour. The woman helping us was very nice, but by that time I was already irritated. Well I can't say everything was bad, unless you consider all the rude Europeans which consisted of 95% of the staff and cruisers.

After we got to our room, our cabin steward was extremely nice and showed us around the room and where things were. We than decided to walk around the ship which was the most confusing ship I have ever been on. I have been on three cruise ships before this one and always knew my way around by the second or third day. When we were getting off the ship, I still got lost. There is only one floor that went all the way across making it very difficult to get where you wanted to go. The maps were useless. They were all in italian/or numbers. After going around the ship, we figured our luggage would be there. Well it wasn't. I went around the corner on our hall and there was a HUGE pile of suitcases. I managed to find mine and my boyfriends luggage so I just took it. If I had not taken it, I wouldn't have gotten it until almost 9pm (actually when my sister did). After getting our luggage, we went on the top deck to watch the boat take off. We decided ahead of time to get the X1, which allows you to drink unlimited (only beer, wine, soda, and water) during lunch and dinner. Now make sure it is the right time according to whomever is serving you, because I think we still never got a straight answer on when and where we were allowed to get the unlimited drinks. I decided at 7pm (dinner started at 7:30pm, but I was told 7pm by customer service) to get a drink at the outside grill. The ordered two beers thinking they were free. I asked him why he charged me and he said it wasn't free until 7pm. I told him I did not want them anymore and proceeded to get harassed by another bartender. I took the drinks and left and was than "cat called" as you would say by the rest of the bartenders. My father went to customer service where they did nothing. So if you like to be around rude, harassing staff, this is the cruise for you.

Dining: The food was actually not bad depending on what you ordered. As the reviews said before, the pasta is amazing!!! It was prepared right in front of you during the lunch hours and they always had something different. The seafood was very fishy (except the shrimp cocktail) so I would stay away from that. Meat: The red meats were not very good, but the chicken dishes were very good. The soups and salads were great (especially the Caesar salad). The grill outside had your usual burgers, pizza, fries which were better than I expected. Overall, the food was better than the other cruises I had been on.

Service: The only three people that I can say I liked on the ship were our cabin steward, our waiter and our drink waiter. They were the nicest people and were always very accommodating. Our drink waiter always had our drinks ready when we got to dinner and we never had to ask the rest of the trip (unless you wanted something different than the norm). Everyone else on the cruise could barely speak English and were very rude. The photographers were horrible and very rude when picking out and paying for pictures. The photographers didn't even make sure everyone was in the picture before they snapped the camera. Every other cruise line, the photographers at least act like they are professionals.

Ports/Excursions: The first place we went to was Cozumel which was ok. My boyfriend and I did the snorkel and clear kayak excursion which was nice, but way over priced. We paid $62 per person for both the snorkel and kayak which included the taxi. If you paid for everything separately and did everything on your own, it would have been $31 per person ($7 for cab, $12 for snorkel, and $12 for kayak). The snorkeling was neat, but the kayak was boring and not worth it. Next, we went to Grand Cayman which I had been before and boy was that a disaster. The boat has to dock out in the ocean, so we had to take a tender to shore. The water was extremely rough to say the least and took almost 45 minutes to dock. We decided to just go to the 7 mile beach which was a $4 cab ride per person. The beach was so unbelievably crowded so we had to walk down the beach to find open space. The drinks at the beach bar were $10 a drink which was not worth it either. On the way back out to the boat, the cruisemen ended up not tying the tender tight enough to the boat so we kept crashing into the cruise ship. It hit so hard one time, the window broke. I know it was not there fault because the water was so rough, but they didn't say anything to anyone. People were screaming, and kids were crying. It was a mess. Jamaica was fun! We went to Dunn's Falls which I highly recommend. The only downfall were the amount of people trying to climb the falls at one time. We also went white water rafting which was very cool! A little suspicious, but well worth it. Grand Turk was by far my favorite. We had this little island all to ourselves (the boat I mean) and the water was gorgeous. This was a nice relaxing day on the beach.

Disembarkation: A breeze. I wish embarkation was as nice.

Overall: I won't go on another Costa cruise line ever again. I have been on Royal Caribbean which was phenomenal, Celebrity which was very good, and Norwegian which I don't recommend either. Next cruise won't be for a long time.

Publication Date: 04/25/07