Costa Magica Cruise Review by M Smith: CostaMagica - Eastern Caribbean

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Costa Magica Eastern Caribbean Cruises

CostaMagica - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2007

This is the first review that I have ever written even though I have been on 48 cruises (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc.)in the past 24 years. My husband and I are both experienced cruisers and are in our late 50s but very young at heart. I felt compelled to write this review because of some of the negative things I have read about the Costa Magica at this web site prior to boarding the ship.

First of all, let me say that this was one of the most enjoyable cruises that we have ever taken, probably the BEST! The ship was one of the most beautiful that we have ever been on and very clean, clean, clean! There was marble and granite everywhere. We booked an inside cabin on Deck 1 and it happened to be a great location for us. The cabin had plenty of room for all our clothing and even the bathroom had quite a roomy vanity top. It was not a huge cabin but it served our needs nicely without feeling cramped as we have on other newer ships.

The More activities were abundant and the staff was the most energetic group of young people that I have ever met. I never even had time to crack open a book or a magazine since we were so busy having fun. They did many of the same things done on other cruise lines but they also did more. I guess that's what CRUISING ITALIAN STYLE is all about. They had several theme nights (TROPICAL DECK PARTY, ITALIAN NIGHT, MEDITERRANEAN NIGHT, and do not miss the ROMAN TOGA NIGHT!) I took over 300 photos (also a rarity for me) but wanted to share our experience with friends and family.

FOOD: We found the food on the buffet to be very good. There might have been more variety on some other lines but there was plenty to choose from. I loved that they always had salad and fruit and my husband loved the ice cream machines. The food in the main dining room was also very good. I ordered fish every evening and one was better than the other. The bread and rolls were the very best and every pasta dish that we ordered was excellent.

ENTERTAINMENT: The two main production shows were very well done. Also, the singers they had on two of the nights were excellent and really got the audience to participate. They also had a very original act called THE MYTH TRIO from South Africa. . .not to be missed. But, I must say, some of the greatest entertainment was provided by the staff on the theme nights. It would take too long to go into detail here and you will just have to experience it.

PORTS: SAN JUAN-We did not get off the ship here since we have been here many times before. ST. THOMAS-We did get off the ship and did some local shopping right at the dock. Always a great place to shop. LA ROMANA-We did take a van ($4.00 round trip each) into the town. The best bargain of the cruise was the Internet Cafe in La Romana -$1.00 for a half hour of access!! It seems to be a very poor island and they seemed desperate to sell their goods at an area called Central Park. GRAND TURK-This was our favorite stop on any cruise we have ever been on. We were the only ship in port and the shopping and a lovely beach were right there as soon as you got off the ship. There were tons of deck chairs and cabanas on the beach for the use of the cruise passengers. There was also a MARGARITAVILLE which had a huge pool and a DJ to entertain. I think everyone had a great time on GRAND TURK.

DISEMBARKATION: It was a breeze getting off the ship. It went very smoothly for us. We would not hesitate to sail with COSTA again and can't wait to book our next cruise with them. You haven't cruised until you CRUISE ITALIAN STYLE! Less

Read more Costa Magica cruise reviews >>