Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by KcFanNindy

Cabin Category: 4F
        10-12 2.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean
Sunday- April 1, 2007 ( Embarkation)

This was very uneventful, we arrived at 10 am there was only a dozen or so people in the terminal at this time, i will throw out a very good key for future cruisers, as you are standing facing the security screeners, line up on the right side of the pole near the bath rooms, this is where they will start the line and you will be the first one to go thru, besides the VIP'S, and special needs guest. The Galveston personnel made this so uneventful it was a breeze, here is a second key to getting on board faster....after you get your Sign and Sail cards, make sure you get to the back of the room in the chairs (2nd Waiting Area) they start loading the ship, from the back to the front, everyone always tries to get the front row of seats.... Today was a exercise day, due to the recent storm, somehow the gangway became damaged, so after taking a boarding pics with the Carnival Photographer, we mazed our way thru the terminal, back down to the bottom floor, were they bring the luggage off the ship for customs...anyway, we loaded the ship via the deck 0 (pier Level), was on the ship by 1145am I think!!! it was close to noon, they had instructed everyone that the rooms would not be ready till 2pm, never has stop me before! LOL went straight to my room, and to my surprise, the room was available....dropped off all items in the closet, and went straight to the Sur Mer grill ( Seafood Grill)...NO WAITING!!! I really wasn't impressed with this grill, it was ok, but after everybody had talked up this restaurant....i guess i was looking for more of a variety...the menu is the same throughout the whole cruise, it doesn't change. Spent the rest of the day touring the ship, and taking photos, before all the 35oo passengers boarded the ship. We had been assigned dining room time in the Monet Dining room - Lower level Table 320 at 5:45 pm, we had originally had requested 6:15 pm, but we notified the maitre' D that we would like to have had the 6:15 pm no problems, but we would need to keep the dining room time for the first night.... After meeting our table mates we had decided that we would stay at this table, and keep the same assigned dining room time...

I was assigned to cabin Lido # 9240, after we in the Gulf, i had already called the pursers desk to complain about the 90 degree cabin, and no one from the maintenance guys showed up, so i went on to the Welcome Aboard Show, figured they would repair the A/C while i was at the show. After the show was over, that had not been the case.....Went to check on the status of the room, and to my surprise no one had been there to correct the situation, so i then went to the Pursers desk. After speaking with Miranda...who then kindly informed me that she had already sent the maintenance staff to the room and since no one was there, it had not been repaired, i kindly informed her after sitting in the 90 degree room for over a hour awaiting the maintenance guy, i went on to the show due to the hot room, and figured they would have entered the cabin, and took car of the problem. She then kindly informed me that she was not, going to send a maintenance guy back to my room, at this time, i had to raise the bar....made sure everyone could hear the conversation that was taking place....I then requested to speak with the Chief Purser, who conveniently was not available....after standing there for 5-10 minutes arguing about the cabin temperature, she followed me up to the room, and i showed her were i had taken a water bowl, and pried back the vent to get air flow to come out of the vent, so we could get some a/c, after i removed the water bottle, and the vent was placed back in the original position, she agreed there was no air flow coming from the vent, or seemed liked it was blocked, but when the a/c guy got there he stated the cabin temperature was fine, i told her the only reason the cabin was cooler was because of me prying back the vent and sticking a water bowl in the vent to get air flow into the cabin.....I guess since i had done that enough time had elapsed from the time i left the cabin for the show, and till they came to the room it cooled off to within limits of the a.c guys thermometer, but it was still hot as hell in the room, this went on back on forth for about 20 minutes, they told me that they couldn't do anything about the a/c, i finally told them if they could adjust the flow up inside of the vent, which i have seen done on previous cruises, but for some reason, the a/c guy was not budging...so i said fine...you guys do what you have to do and i will do what i have to do to make this room cooler, I kindly informed them they will be missing a vent when and if they returned, Miranda (purser) told the a/c guy he is serious about removing the vent....is there anything you can do....after standing in the room for over 20 min. telling me there is no other solution, i watched his hand, remove the vent, adjust the vent flow restrictions somehow....wwwwwoooowww.....rush of COLD AIR!!! It was amazing....I told Miranda i would still like to meet with the Chief Purser about this situation, sometime the next day.

Day 1 ( Sea Day) - Monday April 2, 2007

After i had made several calls to the Pursers Desk, was trying to do a follow up with the Chief Purser and to find out why she had not contacted me as of yet, each time i got she was not available....Finally i was able to reach her, and scheduled a meeting with her, concerning what had transpired, she informed me that she was very sorry, and stated that this situation should have been handled in a different manner than what had taken place....then she went on to say that when the a/c guy was in the cabin, his thermometer was within acceptable limits.....i had to go into the whole spill again for the reason the cabin was that cool....the water bottle, in the vent, which was allowing air flow into the cabin....

I had also organized a party for the second sea day.....and wanted to make sure we had adequate bar tenders for the size of our party. I also informed her if she could contact the maitre d and make sure that our dining room time would stay the same, instead of changing times to the 6:15 pm she stated no problem, it was early enough to get it changed...

Went to dinner and sat at our table, and the host walked up and informed me and my family, that we were sitting at the wrong table, i kindly showed her the sign/sail cards with our table number, she then informed me that we would have to move, i then informed her that i wasn't moving, and she needed to contact the Chief Purser, if she had any questions, "this was the Formal Night", she then returned and stated that i would have to move, i then informed her that i would take this up with her after dinner, so it would not disrupt the entire dinner atmosphere for our table mates, and the surrounding guest, including my family. Dinner was very good! After dinner i was extremely mad that i was looking for the maitre d to find out why my request had not been handled, i was informed that maitre d was no where to be found....luckily i went up stairs were the Captains party was going on....and talked with the Chief Purser, who stated that she had talked with the maitre d had she didn't know why i had to be removed.....i was very upset....so the Captain of the ship had just came out and i requested if i could speak with him, he stated certainly, i explained to him the problems i was having....and so on....he got it rectified immediately....Thanks to him! Dining time was not moved.

Day 2 - Tuesday- April 3, 2007 ( Sea Day)

This was the cruise critic party that i had set up....it was well worth the $12 per person we spent for the hour....it went so well that people within the group wanted to do it everyday.....i kid you not....it went so well....it worked out for our past guest cruisers as well, we went form our cruise critic party to the past guest party....and kept on drinking...luckily we had the same waiters/bar tenders..VIP treatment...unlimited drinks...they really took care of us.... I introduced the drink to everyone called: " Kiss on the Lips" it was extreme hit with everyone, and when we were at the past guest party.....we had trays of the drink that I began passing them around to other past guests....who really thanked me for hooking them on the Kissing on the lips.....several people had walked up to me during the remaining days of the cruise....and thanked me for getting them hooked on the Kiss on the Lips, they stated that they would have 3-4 of them each day.... They are that good!!!!

Wednesday- April 4, 2007-- Montego Bay, Jamaica

We boarded a bus and took a trip to Doctor Cave, it cost $4 per person, then once we arrived at Doc's Cave it was $5 Adult and $2.50 Child (11 and under). Loved this beach...very nice, highly recommend!

Thursday- April 5, 2007-- Grand Cayman

very nice as well.....but it was very hot...and humid...since i got sun burnt so bad in Jamaica we didn't do any snorkeling like we had planned....we just did the shopping....very nice. would love to come back and check this place out more!

Friday-April 6, 2007-- Cozumel, Mexico

Was very impressed on the new pier that had been built, liked the location, no more taxis needed to take you downtown, you are in the downtown area....also it appears the island has had some face lift upgrades since i was last there 2 years ago, i was really impressed with the progress that i saw, the only eventful thing we saw was a cab driver and a tourist get into a fist fight in the middle of the crosswalk with 2 Mexico police officers standing by watching the melee it was kinda the first experience i have ever witnessed any type of assault or anything to that nature ever take place. the Cab driver got his ass knocked down on the ground and then came back for more...it was hysterical, the only thing i was wondering why the Mexico cops had not intervened, they were laughing and watching the fight as well.....this went on for several minutes....then finally a group broke up the fight and they went there merry ways before the Police back up arrived......no arrests made! after boarding the ship there were 5 people left in this port. 1 was a Carnival Gift shop employee, and the other 2 were couples from the Rivera decks...unknown were they were, but they never boarded the ship.....and we left them at Cozumel.

Saturday- April 7, 2007 (Sea Day)

nothing to report other than still nursing the blisters from the sun burns...weather turned chillier in the day, and then clouds moved in and light rain the remaining day

Sunday - April 8, 2007 (disembarkation)

Seemed liked things were moving slower than expected, thats what they kept announcing over the pa system..also had heard the Customs officials were training to new agents, so this why there was another delay.....we finally got fed up with the wait and left the ship when they called our deck for self assist passengers, but we had placed our luggage out the night before....very easy to do....was back on the road by 113o am.

My impression of the overall cruise experience, it was ok, i would rate it around a 7 out of a scale of 10 ( 10 being the best). There was 4 bars that never had any entertainment in them what so ever during the cruise and were not opened during the even for some reasons. also I feel the Camp Carnival program could have used one of the smaller bars to hold the kids program in and this would have allowed the adults to have the disco area all night....the crowds never formed in this area....

As the cruise progressed, the kids were getting rowdy each and every passing day, there seemed to be a large group of Mexicans, and Italians on the ship, so it was there kids that were creating havoc for everyone else....

The nightly Vegas shows were not anything to brag about....I have seen better shows on others ships...just didn't feel like the Conquest ship staff held up to other past cruises as far as entertainment.

The ship was pleasantly clean thru the ship, seemed like the staff kept the ship on top of things.

Casino-- Seem liked the slots were very tight!!! The only people who were winning were the people who were playing the 5 cents slots...they were the only winners i noticed... The Texas Hold-Em tables are electronic,and they have a minimum $40 buy-in, and as the cruise progressed thru each day it was always full, and line to get on the table to play. Food-Average

Supper Club-- my recommendation its ok, but our serviced was not worth the $30 per person we had paid for and you cannot adjust the gratuity for this..also they do not tell you that this is a formal attire dining experience, NO BLUE JEANS!!! If i had to do this over again, I will not eat in the supper club, it was romantic setting, but the food was good, but the service took away from the experience.

Publication Date: 04/10/07