Carnival Glory Cruise Review by dominocat: Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: March 2007
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Just back from the Carnival Glory(sail date March 31st) and thought I'd share my impressions. My husband and I traveled with a group of 30+ people. All are in our mid 30-50's. There were several children as well.

Our embarkation was a disaster. We booked our air through Carnival because holiday air rates(Easter) on our own were too expensive. We flew from Phila. to Atlanta to Melbourne. The flight didn't arrive in Melbourne until 2:30(delays) and there was no transportation waiting for us even though we had vouchers from Carnival for them. By time we arranged transportation for the whole group, it was after 3pm and the ship was due to sail at 4pm. Travel time to the Port was at least 45 minutes. Needless to say, there were many frantic calls to Carnival to hold the ship. We arrived at the port and hurried on board. They pulled the gangways while we were walking to our rooms at about 4:15. I'll never do this again(fly the same day). Air travel is a unreliable mode of More transport. I am still working with Carnival to obtain reimbursement for the trip to the port and to find out what went wrong. This start left a bad impression as we always felt we had to hurry back to the ship so we didn't miss it when we were in port.

Our room was great. We had an inside room with plenty of closet space and bathroom space. Our room steward was very friendly and accommodating. We had pre-ordered some liquor and it was in the room when we arrived.(this was nice) The bed was very comfortable and I would have slept great except for the rocking(more on this later). Our room was directly above the casino and there was very muted noise from it--not a problem at all. I was concerned about the smell of smoke from the casino being in our room and this was not a problem. Smoke was not a problem anywhere on the ship.

Meals were great. We had dinner every night in the Platinum room. Since this room is in the back of the boat it tended to rock quite a bit. Things that stood out-- smoked Duck appetizer, tiramisu, melting chocolate cake, salmon(I love salmon and had it 3 nights--large portion and very tasty), prime rib, Caesar salad. I enjoyed all the dinners. Breakfast everyday at Red Sail was okay--omelettes good. Lunch at the Grille(very good), Fish and Chips(good), Deli(excellent), pizza(good). Overall I thought the meals were good to very good. Wait staff was excellent. Always asked how the meal was and if we wanted anything else or more of anything. Portion sizes were very good. All the children in our group were at one table and their wait staff kept them constantly entertained with jokes, magic and stories. They loved dinner every night and looked forward to it.

Activities. We went to the Wyndham hotel in Nassau--nice, St. John Champagne catamaran in St. Thomas--very good, and Orient beach in St. Maarten(good--a bit rainy). On board activities were very good. Ship entertainment was fair(we didn't care for the main singers) Comedians were great. Wee Jimmy was fun as the cruise director.

Gym and fitness. Very nice areas. The treadmills were all in use around 8am each day, so I went early. Other machines and weights were all in good shape and easy to use. The spa whirlpool was a great treat after a workout

Sea Days. Not a big fan of how these went. I love the sun and looked forward to sitting and relaxing. You needed to grab a chair by 6am(yes that's AM) in order to have one. This was ridiculous. I had read about the chair saving problem in advance of this trip and it is a serious problem with this ship. There is not enough deck space for the number of passengers and it results in a maze of chairs to try and get from place to place. The chairs are so packed in that you find it difficult to even get out of your chair without tripping on something. I was very disappointed in this. Our sea days were a bit windy(as I suppose they always are) and sitting on one of the top decks was not possible without being seriously wind blown(saw lots of shoes and towels flying through the air). Loved the slide and did it several times!!! Made me feel like a kid.

Ship spaces. The bars and casino were very enjoyable. The entertainment in each of the venues was good. I found the ship a bit difficult to navigate, but signage was good to find your way. Enjoyed a few Miami Vice drinks--very good. Martini and mojito bar specials were too crowded with a long lines and slow bartenders. Would have enjoyed trying them. This ship rocked a lot!!! We had moderate seas the entire trip(4-7 ft) and we felt it all the time. Having cruised before, we thought this was excessive for a ship as big as the Glory, to rock and vibrate.

Debarkation. No problems, just took a long time. Made it back to Melbourne airport(after a 2 hr wait on the bus), and home by late evening(too long).

Overall--I found it an enjoyable cruise. Not very relaxing as there is always something you want to do. The start of the trip lent a bad note to things. I would sail Carnival again, but would do things differently. 1. Fly in day before--not travel around a holiday so I can book my own air. 2. Sail on a smaller ship, or one with more deck space per guest. 3. Be prepared not to relax--too much to do.

Now I need a vacation from my vacation. Hope you enjoyed reading this and find my comments as helpful as I found other review comments. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>