Carnival Glory Cruise Review by J Meyer

Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean
My husband and I sailed out of Pt Canaveral on Mar. 24. 3 years ago he had a stroke and although he can walk, it is difficult for him. This review is to mainly tell people how well the Glory handles handicaps.

This was the first trip we had taken since my husband had a stroke and we chose not to have a handicapped room since he wasn't in a wheel chair at all times. Also we were traveling with my brother, his wife, his two grown daughters, two grandchildren and a second cousin. It made for a good support group in case anything went wrong. It was our fifth cruise and my brother and wife have been on many cruises. We all live in Florida and my husband and I live just south of Daytona Beach.

We dropped my husband and sister in law off at the entrance to the cruise line and parked right across the street in a handicapped place. A helper immediately came up with a wheel chair because he noted my husband's cane and limp. He was put in the wheel chair and we were all whisked up thru all of the entry points in a matter of minutes through closed doors and special walkways. The man took us all the way up to the room. What a pleasure! It turns out you can sign out a wheel chair for the whole trip and turn it in the last day. This was very helpful since he really needed one for the on shore excursions.

Our room was a balcony room on the sixth floor. Not a handicapped room, but very large with a king sized bed, couch, chair, 3 closets, and ample space. I had checked a ship brochure and made sure we weren't over a noisy place such as the theater or casino. We were over the shops and under other state rooms which made for a quiet space. Also near the elevators. The only long walk was to the Platinum Restaurant. Otherwise we only had to go to the elevators and go down a few floors to shows, shops, etc.

We had a beautiful table for 9 in the Platinum Dining Room at the very back of the room. We got to watch the sun go down almost every night since we had early seating and always got to have a 180 degree view of the ocean. Food was very good. The waiter Guillermo was quite accommodating, especially for such a large crowd at our table. We could order doubles and sometimes things that weren't even on the menu. The waiters did a great job of singing and dancing almost every night.

My husband thought he could walk it into Cozumel but after a long trek down the dock and then the streets, we then chose to take the wheel chair off the ship from then on. Costa Maya had a free jitney ride that would have been fine instead of the chair but we took it in there. Thank goodness we had it in Nassau because we went all the way down to the end of the yellow building trying to get to the straw market only to find out we had to go THRU the yellow building. A note to others: The new straw market (temporary I hope) is in a tent and the aisles are so small that I couldn't get the chair down any of them. Didn't do any of the excursions at any ports. We just enjoyed the ship and amenities and short trips ashore.

The entertainment was good. The last night they had people on the cruise take part in the show after lots of rehearsals with the dancers and singers on the cruise. They sang like Elvis, Gloria Estefan, Elton John and such and one of our nieces was chosen to sing like Madonna. She is very good and sings in a lot of Little Theaters in the Orlando area.

Getting off the ship was a snap. We went down to the Amber Room and men were there to push the wheel chair off and past all the customs, baggage lines. We were off and in the car by 8:45 but had to wait for my brother and wife for 45 min. because they were on the 9th floor and didn't have the helpers.

I hope this helps others with handicaps to let you know it is a great vacation for all.

Publication Date: 04/09/07