Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Crash

Norwegian Sun
Member Name: Crash
Cruise Date: March 2007
Embarkation: New Orleans
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean
After sailing on NCL for three prior vacations I have to say that NCL Sun was the best NCL cruise that we have ever been on. My wife and I started the cruise on Sunday in New Orleans and had dinner in the La Bistro so we could see the great sites on our way out of the Mississippi. As for activities at our fun day at sea the crew tried to keep everyone satisfied but as everyone knows not everything appeals to all. After a great night sleep in our balcony room on deck 8 we had a great breakfast at the sit down dinning room. Our first port of call was nice we took the boat blast and snorkel, it was a great trip until our speed boat sank but luckily no was hurt and our money was refunded without any hassle. I would recommend going on this tour since their private beach was just what we asked for....relaxing and clean. After coming back to the ship we meet our room stewart and to our surprise she knew both my wifes and my name. Her great attitude greeted us every morning and a goodnite was given every evening, she really made an extra effort. That night we ate at the seven seas dining room due to Lobster night, let me say that the dining room food was horrible. No taste no thought and very strange offerings is all I have to say.

After another great night sleep we had a quick breakfast to ensure a quick departure into Santo Tomas. The port looked very uninviting but we went on the horseback adventure at amatique bay. Let me say what a beautiful gem of a place, very nice people and the pool was to die for. They really made the best out a small port. After a great relaxing day we went back to the ship and watched the locals come out and give a royal sendoff. Dinner that evening was provided again by the dining room, refer to my previous statement in regards to quality and selections. The next day started with another quick breakfast and then to a catamaran that took us snorkeling...what a site. Belize snorkeling was unbelievable to say the least. After snorkeling we were transported back to a private island that was heaven I only wish we had longer than an hour to enjoy. Back on the ship we ate dinner at Teppanyaki and it was by far the best meal (taste and atmosphere) we had on a ship ever. Our final day at port was at cozumel and we choose the Offroad jeep and snorkel. BEWARE you are not allowed to go offroad any longer so all this tour included was a horrible snorkel and a lot of pavement driving. My suggestion is rent a jeep and hit all the beaches and dive bars along the way for a great day of seeing the island. Dinner that night was provided by the steakhouse and it was well worth it. No complaints here my lamb was great and the crab cakes were superb.

Our final day at sea was a day that included much sunbathing and some arguing with NCL for a refund for a mislabeled tour. We did get half of the tour refunded but it took some hassling on our part. We were however told that the website is not updated for shore excursions and everyone should be checked when you board the ship. That evening we joined another couple at the pacific heights for dinner (non-pay but reservations required). The dinner was great it was home cooking that we were craving. Overall NCL redeemed themselves from our last horrible trip on the pride of aloha but you are now being forced to eat at the special dining rooms to get a great meal. For having to spend the extra money for something that should be included will turn some people off but it is nice somenights to only eat with a few other people and have some quiet time. I only have one more thing to say about NCL...No I don't want a drink from the bar quit asking me every 2 minutes.

Chris - Pittsburgh PA