Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by itsheeeather: Celebrity Summit - Alaska

Celebrity Summit - Alaska

Sail Date: July 2005
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seward

This was my first cruise in July '05 and it was one of the most pleasant experiences I have had. My mom's dream vacation was to always go to Alaska, so my brother & I joined my parents and off we went. My dad really want to see Anchorage so we flew there nonstop from Atlanta just so we could spend a few extra days before embarkation. It's worth it to get there a few days just to explore. Anchorage is a really neat city with a lot of history, I enjoyed it. We decided to take the train down to Seward, and besides the cruise, this was another amazing experience. In order to get to Seward you could either ride a bus (BORING!), or take the train. The train takes you through lush scenery, you go through the mountains, down by the ocean. It was seriously breath taking. When you're in the mountains you just see valley's of green for miles. And you can see a ton of wildlife on the way. The ride down there is about 2 hours, and they do serve lunch on board the train.

We got to our More ship and check in was a breeze, no lengthy lines or anything. My parents were staying in a balcony room, while my brother & I shared an inside state room. We were 15(him) & 19(me) at the time, we're 17 & 21 now. So it was a place for us to just sleep and shower. We mainly hung out in our parents room to watch the scenery. Your never without scenery on an Alaskan cruise, and this is one cruise you DEFINITELY want a balcony, or atleast a window for. I honestly don't remember the port of calls in order, but I know we went to Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Our final port of call was Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Which is where we debarked.

Celebrity Summit was a very elegant ship, the food was excellent. The coolest part was on the last night when the wait staff came out with Baked Alaska flaming on their heads, it was so funny, and appropriate! The shopping on board this ship was very nice too. I walked away with some very beautiful pieces of jewelry. My brother was definitely all over the teen scene on the ship, he made friends quickly and we never knew where he was. There was nobody really my age on board, so I hung out with my parents, and did things with them. The casino was nice, not smoke filled or too rowdy like other cruise ship casinos. Also the shows were great. There was a magic show, and a few cabaret like shows as well..very nice.

The cruise director(i so forget his name as this was 2 years ago), was excellent. I remember he would be on tv all day inside you room telling you what was going on. You could also order room service through your tv 24 hours a day.

The spa was very nice as well. I got a massage one night after dinner on the ship, and it was very relaxing, and professional. The fitness center looked top notch as well.

Our steward was very nice as well, he had a few other people to help him. And everyone on board was just wonderful. You couldn't walk down the hall without being greeted by someone, and them asking you how your day was and how you were enjoying your cruise.

The shore excursions were very nice too. In skagway we did two shore excursions as we had a lot of time there. My brother & dad took a helicopter ride up to the top of a glacier, I'm not sure the name of it. They said it was a really neat experience, not only to ride in a helicopter, but to be atop a huge mass. And then as a family we went to the Mushing camp, where there were HUNDREDS of huskies. The dogs would pull you in a fake mushing exercise. You were basically strapped into a go-kart like device, and about 15-20 dogs pulled you around a trail...it was a ton of fun!!! And afterwards you could learn about the life of Mushing, and how the dogs & trainers survive and what they endure. And then you could play with the dogs, and there were husky puppies on site as well. The majority of the dogs were VERY friendly...some were not, but that's expected.

All in all it was a great cruise, and my parents & I would definitely sail with Celebrity again. We plan on heading to the Mediterranean soon and we hope to join Celebrity in doing so. :) Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>