Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by rsengi: Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean

rsengi
Member Since 2003

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2007

We were really looking forward to our trip aboard the Freedom and had many family and friends along.

Embarkation was unfortunately a nightmare; this was the day that the cruise port of Miami was shut down due to terror alert. Passengers had already been standing in line for more that 2 hours when we arrived and we waited an additional 2 hours. I know this wasn't RCL fault but it would have been nice to have updated information as to Why we were waiting and perhaps water could have been brought out. Once the line started to move though they opened up a second entrance and things went quite quickly.

Our cabin was at the Aft of the ship a junior suite. I was a bit disappointed by the view at the back as the aft cabins are different on the Voyageur class and have obstruction. The larger balcony was a good bonus. The cabin was spacious and clean. The sofa bed was comfortable but to short. (my 5' mothers feet hung over the edge). Lots of closet space. Being in a suite More and paying a fair bit more money we did not get as many perks as we did in previous suites; the shower gel and lotions. Our steward was good and prompt with his service. Our boys had an interior cabin just doors down from us and did well.

Entertainment was top notch. The activities were better planned than on the Explorer. However there was times when certain activities did not happen. We truly enjoyed the ice show and the Quest (this is a much safer venue for this game)

Dining (this is always our priority as my husband is a chef)

the first night we were placed at two separate tables even though when we reserved we had all of our reservations linked together. However the maitre'd and waiters combined both the tables for us the next night and we were all able to sit together.

The Food: Presentation was always consistently good; Taste seems to lack slightly but food was delivered hot (unlike the food on the explorer). Yes the menus were identical to the Voyager class ships.

Once again Johny Rockets was a hit. My boys were in there everyday and thoroughly enjoyed the service and entertainment. You really had to learn when was a good time to go. We went in the beginning of the week.

The Service:

Excellent service by the waiter and assistant waiter. They responded promptly to all needs in a non intrusive fashion. ( a lot better than service on the Explorer)

Customer Service

I was pleasantly surprised how quick the line moved at Guest relations, I have never seen it quite so efficient. With 4,000 passengers I was pleased.

The Ship

never felt crowded and it is amazing how many times during the day we would run into one of our group.....

Yes it does feel just like a voyageur class ship. Pool areas were nice and there seemed to be enough deck chairs. Although I read that there are deck chair monitors but I have yet to see them clear chairs off. (this is on every cruise I've been on)

Still love the Promenade, the store fronts and sitting areas are a really great way to watch comings and goings. The only problem is when there are smokers in the pub the smell wafts out...

Activities:

never a dull moment aboard the Freedom. Our boys and my husband were up bright and early every day for their turn at the flow rider. We had many games of mini golf and even tried the rock wall. This was my husbands first time skating on the ship and he was pleased with this.

The Diamond Club

Beautiful setting. At times became very crowded. They even need to make this bigger or take space in one of the less used bars. We love the Diamond Club. Service was good and food was good.

Debarkation was handled efficiently. This is one of the reasons we switched to RCI from Carnival was the organization of embark/debarkation Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>