Westerdam Cruise Review by jenniferdussan

Westerdam
Member Name: jenniferdussan
Cruise Date: March 2007
Cabin Category: VF
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean
We just came back from our cruise and we had a blast. It was my husband and I( 32 and 27 years old) and my Parents( both 49). We have cruised 9 times but it was our first time with HAL. We loved it. Our 2 last cruises were in bigger ships like the Caribbean Princess . So when we first board in that ship it was weird. I thought I will not like it.I was wrong we had a great time. First of all the embarkation went very fast! Then we arrived in our room and were very happy with the bedding and bathroom. It is the first time we have a tub in a cruise and it makes the experience so much more pleasant. The shower on the cabins are a pain usually. Also the bathrooms were very functional , a lot of organizing space.

The bedding was the best we had( and we travelled in concierge celebrity).The bed was so comfy!

The staff was amazing all along. the only guy that we found rude was at the free ice cream bar( but it is kind of understandable, poor guy the line never end....people were lining up 12 hours a day to get sweets...lol) Our Stateroom attendant was very friendly and very nice. The best was the staff at the dining at night. Oh man it is the first time I saw that kind of Service( we cruises with Celebrity, RCC, Carnival and Princess) . HAl Has the best and fastest service we ever had at our dining table.It was great. thanks Eko, Janar and Charlie...you were the best!

Talking about dinner...Wow the food was great! I can't believe people can complain. The variety of food served each day was amazing! It was something for everyone. The food looked good and tasted good. It was a great experience!

Food at lunch and breakfast was good as well. At breakfast you had the waffle station, omelette station, buffet station and continental station, you had a juice bar too( you even had the Asia Breakfast station for the most adventurous). It was again a large variety of food!

For Lunch you had the bistro buffet changing everyday( however I never tasted anything on the bistro because it closed at 2pm ..not enough time between breakfast and lunch)it was the only low !

However you had plenty of choice after 2 pm. You had the italian station serving pizza and pasta all day, you had the salad bar, the wok station , the Deli station where you can build your own sandwiches or Panini( I loved that deli), the mexican station( taco bar) was a first on a ship and I thought was a superb idea and you had the grill station( burgers, steaks, hot dogs, chicken....etc)...Of course you had a the Ice cream bar and desserts buffet all day available! My favorite!

The staff at those places were always helpful and so kind!

All the public rooms were great. There were only 2 outside pools( compared to 5 on the Caribbean Princess) However it worked well on that ship. It was enough! It was enough chair on the deck for people not have to fight. We loved the volley ball court on that boat. The casino was great.We played Bingo and I was one number away to win $3000...oh my!Anyway I didn't have to complain about anything on that ship.

The ports of call were great. I have to admit that Half moon Cay is the best private island..It is just beautiful. Grand Cayman was great....the beach is very crowded though...well it was Spring Break!We went there couples of times already so it didn't bother us...we came back to the ship early. Costa Maya was entertaining and grand turks was not as good as I imagined for snorkeling but the each was nice.

In conclusion , we had a superb time! That cruise was awesome. I am not sure I will say I will take HAL in the near future since Westerdam is the first ship that was build to attract younger people but if they launch other one like this one to other destinations I definitely will take it.

Thanks HAL!