Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Sandy

Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: Sandy
Email: SKeighley@aol.com
Cruise Date: February 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: IE
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Spirit - Eastern Caribbean
First I must state that My DH and I are in our 60 and this is our 5th cruise. 3 Carnival, 1 RCCL. Driving to New York City from our home in Mass was a breeze. We were cruising with another couple in their 60's also.

Embarkation: The best I have ever experienced. They are very organized and we were on the ship least than an hour after arriving in the terminal. Since the ship docked at 10 a.m. later than normal, we did not get into our rooms until after 2:30 p.m. We chose to dine in Windows for lunch where we had a nice table near the windows. Since it was not crowded it was a great experience.

Room: I have never had an inside cabin but DH convinced me to try it since the waters in the North Atlantic could be choppy. We had the fifth floor inside in the middle. Room was smaller than I experienced on the other cruise lines but was okay. My room steward, I never was introduced to and thought he lacked in service. Only one towel animal, which I know is extra but could have earned him and extra tip, was all he did for us. If you wanted clean hand towels or face cloths you had to leave him a note or otherwise they were not refreshed. The only time I ran into him was when he insisted on doing our room for the evening and I wanted to changed clothes for dinner. He seemed offended that I would not wait for him to do the room first. Oh well.

Food: I am on a low fat diet so the cooking light on the menus was very helpful. We only ate in Windows or Garden the main dinning rooms and found the food and choices to be plentiful. In saying that I did find that the entree offered on the other ships were not offered in the main dinning room but saved for the special pay restaurants . I did not like the experience of free style dining since I like to have a relationship with the same wait staff for the whole cruise. Raffles the buffet was great. Always hot food with a large selection. We did experience a problem the last two days where they would not let you help yourself to any of the food even drinks. I figured they had a health issue to deal with. I find hand cleaning machines all over the ship for your use which made me feel they were on top of health issues. I did not have room service since I wanted to spend as little time as possible in the small cabin.

Mitch the Bar service was awesome. Since I can not drink do to illness he was great and finding for me a varsity of virgin drinks and smoothies. He asked our names on the first day we met him and remembered us every time he saw us. Gave him a extra big tip in the end.

Entertainment: Was just average. The Acrobatic Family Act and the Second City Comedy Troupe were good but the Magical Show and NCL dances were not what I expected. But we still watched the shows. I did like the set up of Stardust Theater. It was in the aft of the ship and you could see the show from any seat.

Galaxy of the Stars the non smoking lounge in the bow of the ship on the 12th floor was where we did spend a lot of time during the cold sea days . It has windows on three sides with a very open air feeling. There was most always music, Game shows or bingo going on there.

For an older ship it was laid out so at most times you did not feel that the ship help as many passengers has it did. It never felt crowded , even in the pool area. Although there probably was a lot going on I don't think their Freestyle Daily news letter informed you of the actions. I found that I would past by areas and things were happening that were not mentioned in the new letter.

The ports of call were St Thomas, where we took an island tour and went to Paradise Point for their famous drink and view of the harbor. Tortola, where we also took a tour of the island with a great tour guide. We tendered in Samana, where we booked a air couch for a tour of the island as well, but this time we had an awful tour guide who told us very little. The island is dirty and poor . This is not some place I would want to return to.

On the whole we had a great vacation and I would cruise on NCL again but a larger newer ship.

On the whole it was a wonderful experience.

Publication Date: 03/17/07