Norwegian Star Cruise Review by donaldquackers

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Star Cruise Review by donaldquackers
Norwegian Star
Norwegian Star
Member Name: donaldquackers
Email: frankeller@excite.com
Cruise Date: March 2007
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: IA
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera

We arrived in San Pedro on March 5, and stayed at the Vagabond Inn. I got an internet price of $89.00 plus $7.00 for an extra night of parking, plus taxes for a park and sail. The room was perfectly fine, the area safe enough, and they have cameras all over the parking lot, to keep the car safe. The parking lot is fenced, although the driveways are kept open. The free continental breakfast was donuts but they were all gone by the time I went looking for them at about 8:30.

We had a free shuttle to the pier and arrived there around 12. Some people were upset about the change in itinerary, but I was excited about the onboard credit. For those that are bothered about travel arrangements I suggest you arrive the day before your cruise and leave later in the day upon returning just be have a cushion. Problems do come up and it is best to be prepared. One little glitch like this should not ruin your whole vacation. We had an inside cabin. I was worried about claustrophobia, but I had no problems with it. I brought a glade plug in light show that gave the room light and also gave it a good smell. The room was clean and suited my needs. The staff were friendly and did their job, but no one really connected with us during the week. I didn't go out of my way to get to know them as I have done on a previous cruise.

The food was above average. It helped me to look at the daily menus, so I could choose where to eat according to my tastes. The waffles and omelets at the pool were great. The hamburgers were tasty, but I would have preferred a smaller patty. The meat was an inch thick, and that is just too much for me. The buffet was better some days than others as can be expected. We didn't like Endless summer. The Blue Lagoon was great, but we used it mostly for snacking. Cookies and fresh fruit whenever you want. We preferred the Versailles to the Aqua. They both serve the same food, but we felt more special in the V. The breakfast was better in the buffet. I bought a soda card for $48.50. My experience though was that it took 10 to 15 minutes to actually get a soda. The drink servers brought the drinks right away, but seemed to wait a while on the sodas. The entertainment was the best. I liked everything I went to except the second night of the dancers, and the second night of second city. I loved their first performances, but their next nights were very disappointing. The last day of our sailing the weather turned cold. This prevented any outdoor stuff. The ship can't control the weather, and I don't blame them for that, but I would have liked to see them do something to take up the slack. Perhaps an extra show in the theatre or some more games etc. It seemed everyone was playing board games or reading for most of the day. That was relaxing but a little ho-hum for the final day. I give a 10 to Shawn the magician, the Black Street Boys and Regis.

Our roll call was very active. We met on ship a few times, and smaller groups of members got together for various activities. It was great fun for me to find these people and do things together. It was an extra bonus on the trip.

In Manzanillo I saw poverty like I hadn't seen before. It was interesting but I don't need to go there again. In Puerto Vallarta I booked the Pirate Excursion from the ship (using my credit). I would have booked this online for $51.00, but they don't operate on Sundays, the day we were supposed to be there. The change in itinerary put us there on Saturday, so I booked it on ship for $78.00. The pirates had great costuming, met us as soon as we got off the ship. We had free breakfast, lunch and open bar. They took us out to a private beach, gave as a pirate show on the way, did a little whale watching, then transferred us to a speed boat to get to the beach. There we had kayaking, banana boat, bogie boards and snorkeling, as well as just playing in the surf. They had umbrellas and chairs for us to sit on. This was a day of adventure for me and well worth the money. Everything was including in the excursion cost. The lunch was tasty although a little messy. This was my best day. In Mazatlan, we hired an open air taxi with driver for the day for $70.00. It held all 4 of us comfortably. The driver took us all over town, and answered our questions. Whenever we wanted to stop he would let us get out and wait for us. He didn't ask to be paid until the end so we had no fear that he would just leave us. My daughter was able to do parasailing on the beach for $30.00, and this was our best shopping day. We got lots of bargains. We also saw a cliff diver. We were able to see things we never would have thought about on our own. Everyone should experience the open market sometime in their life. I won't give you the details of it as you should experience it yourself. In Cabo I wanted to go to Lovers beach but couldn't get a taxi for anything less than $12 each, so I settled for the other beach for $3.00 This city has the most peddlers. While trying to sunbathe, I was disturbed by peddlers every minute or two. Next time, I will pay one of them $10.00 to keep everyone else away from me so I can relax for an hour. We walked back to the port. It took about 20 minutes, and was a nice walk.

Disembarkation was smooth. The only glitch here was one woman in customs who was directing the crowd and is very rude. She kept yelling at the passengers and rolling her eyes at them. Maybe she was jealous of all of us cruisers or maybe she just needs a different job. No need to be rude to people who are just trying to follow the rules. I paid $10.00 for a taxi back to the Vagabond Inn. My car was in great shape, and not even very dirty.

Publication Date: 03/16/07