Pride of America Cruise Review by Nancy Staggs: Pride of America - Hawaii

Pride of America - Hawaii

Sail Date: March 2007
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

Boarding the ship was quick and easy. It's a beautiful ship and easy to find your way around, unlike some other cruise ships I've been on where you get on an elevator and end up at the opposite end of where you want to be.

The room, with obstructed view, was lovely. Lots of drawer space and a large closet with plenty of hangers and more storage space. In my stateroom, I had a queen bed and it was very comfortable. A nice dresser/desk was provided, along with a small sofa, coffee table and a TV. The window was very large and even though I had an obstructed view because of the lifeboat, I could still see the ocean and landscape. The bathroom was small, but not inconvenient and the shower worked great, as did everything else. I liked having a coffee pot in the room provided with packs of kona coffee, half & half, and sweetener. There were plenty of cups and glasses, and my ice bucket was filled every day.

The spaciousness and cleanliness of the room was excellent. More The cabin steward welcomed me the minute I walked into the cabin. She did a spectacular job of keeping everything neat and clean, and her smile made my day.

My cabin was on the 7th deck and the main dining room where I had most of my meals was on the 6th deck....very convenient. I loved the Liberty Dining Room better than the Skyline, which is the main dining room. The Liberty had so much history and the decorations were beautiful. It was a 5-course meal every night. I enjoyed most of the food. There was some that I wasn't particularly fond of, but it was nice to be able to relax and have someone serve you. You could ask for whatever you wanted, even if you wanted it more than once. The servers were well trained and polite and friendly. It did take a long time to get served and eat a meal....I went every night at 6PM and didn't leave the dining room until 8 or after. But.....I suppose that's what it's all about, leisure and relaxation.

It was easy to find all the restaurants, rooms, lounges, shopping, etc. I spent some time in the Internet Cafe. It wasn't cheap. $55 for 100minutes, but you could also buy fewer minutes. The Internet Cafe Mgr. was most helpful and pleasant. I didn't particularly enjoy the shopping aspect. Most items were quite expensive and not a large variety. I went to the beauty salon one time and that was enough! They had one hairdresser, but I had made an appt. and didn't have to wait. I wanted a shampoo and blow dry. I got both, but had to pay an extra $5 for the curling iron and they added on a service charge and tax and by the time I paid and added a tip, the bill came to almost $70. Same treatment at home beauty salon cost $30. I thought it was a rip-off and would suggest getting your hair done on shore.

Disembarking was easy and on time. Picking up my luggage was no problem, and catching a cab outside the pier was easy....they always are there and always expect a big tip....which I found on every island I visited (5).

All in all, it was a pleasant journey. Smooth sailing, good personnel. Oh yes, I saw 3 shows, enjoyed only 1. Most were not too professional. I would recommend this ship to anyone. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>