MSC Opera Cruise Review by linda Gould

Email: kalifornia333@gmail.net
Cruise Date: February 2007
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: b
See More About: MSC Opera Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: MSC Opera Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Opera Deck Plans
MSC Opera - Southern Caribbean
Sorry to report but probably the worse cruise line I have been on in my life. The ship itself was beautiful and quite clean although the cabins were smaller than what I am use to per Celebrity, RC and HA lines.

My main concern was the customer service. It was sorely lacking. In speaking with several other passengers, they all generally agreed with me. My daughters room was not touched for the first 24 hours. She complained and thereafter the crew who cleans the rooms stood outside her room at 6:00 a.m. rattling their plastic bags, etc., which awakened her up each morning at that time. She registered a concern and thereafter her towels which were soaking wet from a shower were not replaced. They were hung up in again for her usage. They continued to use the space outside her room to prepare for the day of cleaning the rooms. My daughter, 40, was also a victim of the cashier in the gambling area. She tried to cash a travelers check and the cashier refused saying her signature did not match the original signature. My daughter apologized and presented her identification including her passport. The lady eventually cashed the check but proceeded to yell at her about the traveler's check. Several passengers that observed this, offered to testify for her as to what had

happened. The lady actually left her cage to yell at her. The food on the ship was terrible; about a 4 out of 10. We felt very sorry for our waiter (who was great) because he had no help and we generally helped him by passing all the dishes around to make it easier for him. The worse part was that there was no help for those passengers that were disabled or old in the buffet. We are use to seeing the crew help older people with their tray and doors. However, on this ship there was no help whatsoever. In fact, on several occasions I actually had crew members run infront of me and the door would end up hitting me in the face of body.l I am not old so I could deal with it but I felt sorry for those that couldn't and needed help. The crew overall was pretty rude and nonhelpful. We had to pay for soft icecream which I have never experienced before on any other cruises. This was a celebration of our mother's 95th birthday so we didn't let all this stop us from enjoying her and making her trip as nice as possible. We could get up early in the morning to be sure we could carry her tray in the buffet to a table. We walked them down to dinner each night. We ended up laughing about all the problems and the rudeness of the crew; it really became a joke for us. The food was so terrible that we ended up only ordering the pasta which was good. The beef was terrible and the crew in the restaurant actually apologized to us for some fish one night that was absolutely the worse fish I have ever tasted. Felt sorry for the waiter as he had to set the table, serve the food, served the wine (no wine seward), serve the coffee, and clean up after every course. On HA, RC and Celebrity there is usually a busboy or helper that helps. No on this cruise. We have sailed on many cruises and our mother has on at least 50 cruises so it isn't like we don't know about these things. Would never recommend this cruise to anyone. Stay away from MSC if you want to know what cruising is all about. I thought perhaps it was us....but we spoke to several Europeans and Americans who all felt like we did. Thecomment box was to filled upon our leaving that it was comical. We are still laughing about it as none of us (9) had ever experienced such a lack of customer service nor such bad food.

Publication Date: 03/07/07