Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by cruisewonk

Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: cruisewonk
Cruise Date: January 2007
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Jewel - Eastern Caribbean

We just returned from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Norwegian Jewel. Overall we enjoyed our cruise. The staff was very good. They were friendly and very efficient. Unfortunately we found the remaining areas of our cruise to be strictly average. The food was plentiful but average even in the specialty restaurants. The ship itself was clean and maintained but did not strike me as being anything overly special. We visited four ports, San Juan, Antigua, St. Thomas and NCL's private Island, We did the catamaran excursion in Antigua and that was the highlight of our cruise. It was a very pleasant day. We would like to have more time in St. Thomas but the ship left early than the other ports. The weather was very nice and the ocean beautiful.

I found it curious how the bar staff prepared a drink, all the alcohol was carefully poured into a shot glass with a line around it, never during the week did I see bartender pour anything but exactly one shot. If you ordered a glass of wine it was first poured into a measuring device before being poured into your glass, obviously they wanted to make sure the staff did not pour any more than one glass.

The officers on the ship were aloof and in some cases downright rude. Never, in one week did anyone of the offer a good morning or a hello. I went to the service desk three days into our cruise to inquire why everyday I had to have my key card re-programmed. When the staff member could not offer an explanation or even an apology I asked to speak to the officer in charge of this area. When this officer showed up he also offered no explanation either and seemed rather put out that he was forced to take the time to speak with a guest. I have had better service at a Super Eight.

We definitely saw a number of passengers who were struggling with being sea sick. I would recommend taking some precautions. We used the patch and found that it worked well for us.

I don't wish to sound to negative. We enjoyed our week on the Jewel. If you are scheduled to cruise on the Jewel, you should have a pleasant time. If you are shopping for a cruise you may want to try another ship and a different line

Publication Date: 03/05/07