Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Hunter/Jumper girl: 8/23-8/28 sailing on Caribbean Princess

Hunter/Jumper girl
0 Post

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

8/23-8/28 sailing on Caribbean Princess

Sail Date: August 2014

I am a 45 year-old female and have taken 9 cruises in all- not a newbie. Cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and now Princess. Would I sail on Caribbean Princess again? Yes, but would chose to return to another ship on another line first. We had an enjoyable time - but it's just nice to experience what else is out there...Here is my honest (and hopefully helpful) review.

-Embarkation =

Get there early - no matter what they tell you. It took about 60-90 minutes from arrival at port to boarding the ship. We were in our cabin by 12;30 pm.

Cabin =

We splurged and booked a mini-suite. Well-worth the money. Large bathroom with full-size tub/shower combo. Nice large balcony which could accommodate three people comfortably, but only 2 deck chairs provided. Cabin has two flat-screen televisions, but fyi- only one clicker. We ordered the $35 bouquet of flowers - so GEORGEOUS - lasted the entire cruise. Also - we ordered bathrobes - they came the More third day - pack your OWN. There is a hair dryer in room - its so-so, and shampoo, etc.provided in bathroom, but if you are particular, again, pack your OWN. We also pre-ordered a shrimp and cheese tray to be delivered to our room prior to our arrival. The flowers were there, but we had to call 3 times to get the food delivered - which did finally come, but I don't know that I would pre-order that again. The cabin attendant, Ricardo, did a GEAT job cleaning up after us each time we left the room, and did the extra small things that we asked of him during our cruise. Example- upon arriving, our bathroom floor smelled Very Strongly of urine- and I asked him to wet mop it with a disinfectant/deodorizer, which he did - and we had no more odors after that. Bring another outlet extension-plug with more ports for your appliances - for cell phone charger, curling iron, etc. Not enough plugs in the room.

Dining=

The meals in the main dining room - we chose anytime dining - were good, service excellent - and this goes for any service on the ship at any time. The food in the buffet area- Horizon Court - I found to be mediocre - and by the time you found a table, your food was cold. This area is always crowded - and for me, does not a relaxing meal make. The upcharge restaurants - with one exception, are not to be missed. Make a reservation from your room the first day for Crowne Grill and Crab Shack. They were SO well worth the money. The server, David, from Crowne Gill, gave us a wonderful dining experience. If I had it to do over, I would SKIP Sabatini's Itallian restaurant. It's not what you think it's going to be. VERY authentic Italian food. No lasagna, spaghetti or chicken parm in sight. Yes, the pizza by the pool is tasty as many reviews have stated.

Entertainment =

Have to be honest - not the greatest. The last evenings' show, "So You Wanna Dance", was good - it had some talented singers and dancers, but the other entertainment we attended was not on par with other cruises I have experienced. The comic was....well, SKIP IT, and the illusionist was just so-so.

Excursions =

EXCEPTIONAL. We took the Atlantis submarine tour in Grand Cayman, and The X-Caret tour in Cozumel. Both tours well-organized and well-worth the money. Edgar Gonzales was our guide for X-Caret, and did a fantastic job of keeping us herded together and entertained. Thanks again Edgar!

Ship=

I found the ship, although 10 years old, to be in nice shape. The only area I felt that seemed "dated", was the pool areas. The pools were very SMALL, compared to all the other ships I have been on. They do need a few more deck chairs, however. Also, tile in cabin bathrooms need to be replaced - grout between tiles very stained. EEEYYYEEEWWW!

Activities on board =

Lots to do all the time - and they even offer a private tour of the ship on the last day at sea ($150 pp) which we signed up for, but as they only have 12 spots, and only 4 people signed up, it was cancelled due to lack of participation - perhaps the price is a bit too high??

Shopping on board=

Okay. The typical gift shop items. Don't get excited about the dining room sale full of souvenirs - it really was a lot of very CHEAPLY made items - you would do much better off the ship if you need to purchase those kinds of gifts.

Disembarkation=

Super smooth. Walked off with bags at 7::15, in the car by 7:45 am.

Would I recommend this cruise to a friend? Overall, yes I would. No vacation is perfect. Just a few minor inconveniences, but we had a fine time and would cruise again with Princess for sure in the future. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>