Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by mopeygoff: Mostly good, some bad.

Grandeur of the Seas 5

mopeygoff
Member Since 2014

Mostly good, some bad.

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

I have never sailed with Royal Caribbean, but my parents who have enjoyed cruises through RC in the past. I am not a first time cruiser. I was sailing with my son (11), my fiancee, her mother, my fiancee's three boys (20, 18, 16) and her oldest's long time girlfriend. Out of that group, only myself, my son and my fiancee's mother have ever been on a cruise with anyone. I have sailed previously with Disney (Magic) and Carnival (Glory) and her mother has sailed with Carnival years ago.

Cruise director and activities director Ricky and Andre were absolutely the best combo I have ever seen. They were just amazing. They had this crazy chemistry that just worked together. I especially enjoyed the "Morning Show" they do. Cruise director Ricky was always smiling, joking around and just fun to be around. There was always something going on around the boat, sometimes too much to do because the stuff overlapped times, which was actually great for a small ship like the Grandeur. RC would More be crazy to split these guys up or put them on another ship.

Dining in the main dining room was excellent. Our server was very accommodating, from the usual "I can't decide so I'll have both appetizers", to my fiancee's son's girlfriend's food allergies. Our glasses were always filled and my son, who is high functioning on the autism spectrum, really enjoyed the dinner rolls and trying new foods from Dad's plate. He also quickly learned our likes and dislikes and had a recommendation each night for us beyond the "Chef's Selection". I also loved the guitar/violin combo, that played modern for classical guitar and violin. It was pretty fun playing "name that tune" with the kids.

My fiancee did not like the Windjammer Cafe much. A lot of times the food was unlabeled or they kept running out of it. Finding a seat was difficult during peak times. I didn't mind the food too much but preferred the main dining room for meals (it's open for all meals).

Drinks were pretty expensive. They ran anywhere from a $4.00 for specials up to over $10.00 with gratuities (my traditional just-got-on-the-ship Bahama Mama was $10.75). We chose not to participate in the drink packages because the kids would do good for a week without soda and the adults are not heavy drinkers. We had enough to drink when we wanted it. Protip: You can order water or tea from the bar at no cost. They'll give you a bigger glass than what you find in the Windjammer or Park Cafe.

The Park Cafe wasn't bad, but the selection was limited. If you like burgers, hot dogs, pizza and watered down cheese nachos, this is a decent place to go.

We also enjoyed the pool area. I had always sailed with a balcony and while I did miss taking my morning coffee on a private verandah, it was just fine taking it on pool deck.

We did encounter some problems though, but they were mostly with the shore excursions.

Overall, it was a fun trip and we will likely do it again. I realize the problems we encountered weren't entirely RC's fault, but if the Coco Cay failure rate is true, that is something that RC can and definitely should fix.

Oh, and since I didn't find this anywhere else, the Grandeur has an available HDMI connection and the remotes work just fine to switch inputs. I say this because our kids wanted to bring their Playstation 4 for downtimes. It came in handy when they didn't want to swim or my fiancee and I were taking too long to get ready for formal night. Less

Published 09/01/14

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: 7645

The cabin was pretty small. Decent storage in the closet/desk. Only three fairly shallow drawers in desk/dresser combo. My 11 year old thought the pull down bed from the ceiling was cool. We dumped the kids in a connecting room so we could keep track of them.

Atlantis Aquaventure

Next up was Nassau. We chose to do the Atlantis Aquaventure. By the time we got to the waterpark, we called it the "Atlantis Walkaventure". There was around 200 of us going to Atlantis. So we disembarked the ship, was made to stand on the pier in the heat and humidity for about 20 minutes before boarding the "bus". The trip over was fine. We disembarked the bus, and was made to wait for 2 more busses in the blazing Nassau heat and humidity until we finally started moving toward what we expected was the water park. Instead, we got an hour tour of the property in the heat. And while I was impressed at the beauty of the hotel and property, we did not pay for a tour: We paid to play in the water park. We finally left the group and took off on our own. It was amazing that we found our way back to the busses in approximately 15 minutes and that included a stop to look at the sting rays and sea turtles. We got a 20% refund because we complained about losing an hour at the park because of a tour that was not mentioned in the description when we booked the excursion. The waterpark itself was pretty fun, I just wish we had that hour back because we only got 3 total hours (we paid for 4). The lines were pretty short, we got to ride all the slides, sometimes even two and three times.

The ride back was nice. The driver took us on a brief tour of Nassau. I had been to Nassau a few times and didn't ever hear of the places he showed us. Next time I will have to visit on foot and check the places out.

Cocoa Beach

Our first stop, Port Canaveral, we chose to do the beach day. Getting off the ship was a breeze, but then we boarded the bus. The bus had a broken air conditioner. Heat and no air conditioning is a bad combination for northerners like us. My fiancee felt like she was going to pass out and we barely made it to the 7-11 next door to the drop off point. We had to buy a bunch of water and rehydrate and stand in the air for a while before we could go down to the beach. The return trip had air conditioning, so that was fine.

There was a rental place right on the beach. The people were super friendly. You could rent an umbrella, 2 chairs, and a boogie board for $40 (total, you get $10.00 back).