Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by Anjjmum0294: Carnival of errors! Lengthly review!

Anjjmum0294
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival of errors! Lengthly review!

Sail Date: August 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

We stayed the night before at the Quality inn Airport on S. Dale Mabry in Tampa. Very nice for one night. Stores galore around including drug stores if you forgot anything. Free breakfast, transportation from airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal. Cheap rates too.

Let's see to start with we were not given a zone pass from the taker of our boarding pass during embarkation and luckily I noticed and got one from a very sweet lady working another area. But once I got it getting on was a breeze. The lunch on board was alright, and the crew initially very sweet. Most were nice and clearly liked their jobs.

The room was a joke. Nothing worked right. No A/C. The toilet flushed when it wanted too. The shower got hot when it felt like it and we had to finagle the water by running the sink at the same time to make it right. I said something at the desk and they put in work orders, which my Steward then cancelled and treated me like a two year old by saying that was More the way things were.

I was accused of being a racist. By the head of security no less! I tried to help them and report I saw someone grab a camera. He was all for the report till I described him after he asked me to. The gentleman thief was black. Then it was "Ohhh I get it. So you THINK you saw him steal the camera! Are you SURE?" Sad! And yes, later two young girls reported their camera stolen. Same kind! Same guard was later in an altercation with a woman on the pool deck insulting her as well.

My excursion was a comedy of errors, and when I complained to the clerk. I was told "They are locals, there is nothing we can do." he was very belligerent so I asked the guest desk for the Excursion mgr. I got him, and he and the clerk ganged up on me. Started telling me "they didn't appreciate me insulting their excursion and if I was going to continue they were done with me." at which point they walked off and left me standing there. I found out from another crew member the MGR has no supervisor on the ship therefore he thinks he can be as rude as he wants to be.

Most of the crew were very nice, but there was mass confusion. One would tell you one thing, and another would contradict it. There are no true policies on this ship, and no one to turn to if there is a problem. I took it upon myself to look for an officer who did take my statement and was very nice! Otherwise, I was told over and over "You need to call Miami".

My twenty year old daughter and I were bored most of the time. There were the same shows over and over, and no real entertainment. I never once saw the Cruise Director! So glad I brought a deck of cards and a book. It seems they purposely keep you bored so you will got to the casinos. Refuse all pictures! They are expensive and constant. If they weren't trying to take our picture, they were trying to sell us booze, or usher us into a seminar. I felt like they were walking around and not seeing people but giant wallets.

The only thing good about the cruise was Gavin Degraw. A phenomenal artist, and great all around guy. He sang to my daughter for half a song, and kept coming out into the audience and being a truly grateful looking artist. We certainly got our monies worth at least with him!

Will I cruise Carnival again? Definitely not! The ports were nothing great, and the insults too many from supposed high ranking crew. Clearly they feel they can get away with treating people like dirt. I have twice sailed Norwegian on the Dawn and had wonderful times. This was supposed to be a last hurrah for myself and my daughter before she moved cross country and they ruined it. I will never sail anything other than Norwegian again.

Debarkation was a joke. I have three herniated disks and I was on deck seven where the debarking was to take place. They wanted me to leave my cabin carrying my luggage up to deck ten, then come back down to deck seven to leave. Um no. A guy named Nick said it was fine to stay as I was medically injured. Another person, a young lady fought with me to leave. I won. I sat on a chair and told them to call customs (as they claimed it was a Customs directive) to me and I would tell them off too. Simply crazy all the way around.

Oh and I had gastric bypass so I was basically on a fruit diet. By the end of the week the "fresh produce" was barely edible. The food in the main dinning room was alright, but nothing wonderful. I was impressed and loved the little dance they did though. Sorry Carnival but epic fail! Less

Read more Carnival Paradise cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Paradise Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Paradise E63

E63 looks on their deck plans as if it is far away from the noise to be semi quiet, and close to the elevators. Only the last is true. We were constantly inundated with kids running back and forth, the sound of the Atruim singer by the bar, and loud bangs starting at 6am from the Fun center above. Great location for elevators if noise is not an issue for you. Also, the toilet flushed when it wanted to. The A/C didn't work well (they claimed 73 degrees as they tested it was standard, even though their hallways were cooler than our room!), we were offered a fan! The shower would randomly get hotter as we showered, and to keep it on an even keel we had to turn on the sink to make the shower stay one temp. Weird! A lot of room for the money though, and if quieter and fixed nice location. Bring power strip, only one outlet in room!

Cozumel is different I will give it that. It still has it's old world appeal, and there is a taco place right near the terminal behind a building in front of the taxi area that is fabulous! But the cab drivers are crazy. Our first driver charged us $20 dollars to go to a beach down the road from the terminal called Ocean and said it was free. Hardly. It cost twelve dollars to enter, and we got herded in to a picture with parrots for $15. The water in this place was worse than back home. Seaweed as far as the eyes could see, and the water dirty full of refuse. They won't let you inspect the area before paying either. The beach sand was like kitty litter, and there were vendors bothering you every ten mins with things to buy things. Even knock off Coach and Guess bags! We were there for 45 mins and left. Calling it a lesson learned. And get this, the same cab ride was suddenly $14!

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Stingray Swim

(3)

I'm giving it a four only because of the stingray express excursion. They were fabulous, and the water was crystal clear! Absolutely gorgeous! The island itself is far to commercialized for my liking. I wanted a tropical setting, and got all the comforts of home. Chinese, fast food, hotels, all within walking distance of the pier. Everything was about the Benjamins, and how to get them. There were seven ships photographers and various island photographers trying to cattle herd you into pictures right off the ship! For $15 a pop! Beware also of this ships excursion desk! Ivor the clerk, and VJ the manager are ignorant and will holler and scream at you if you complain. As I did when their excursion attempted to strand myself and my daughter claiming we had no ride (even though Ivor said there was just an hour ago and it was agreed by the operators there) back to the pier. There were paint chips coming off on our legs because of the excursion boat. We were blended in with a stingray excursion that was also going to a beach after, and they refused to bring us anywhere except to the beach where they tried to convince us to spit out another $25 for the beach! They hollered at us "Just get the hell on the god damned bus!" We refused the beach and got taken back to the pier in a private jeep of a MGR of the tiki beach resort . Awkward!