Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by cruisergirl1969: Was expecting so much more

cruisergirl1969
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Alaska Cruises

Was expecting so much more

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was our first cruise. Other then hearing what people who have taken other cruises, we had nothing to compare it to so far. We went with our children, grandchildren and in-laws. I was so excited. We had a balcony suite, which helped, but the couch was really dirty. There was so much stuff in our refrigerator that we could not put any of our stuff in it. We did take all the contents out and asked them to be picked up but they never were. Our cabin steward, Sergio, was one thing that made our trip better. He really tried to meet all of our needs with a smile every day as he greeted us.

The food was just okay. My children had gone on a Carnival cruise where they had a seafood night with all the lobster and seafood they could eat. We got a "lobster pasta". Really? We did not get any of the drink packages but I do not think once we were asked what we wanted to drink. Each time we ordered ice tea, we would have to ask again for refills.

The games were much more More expensive then I thought they would be without much payout. $69 for bingo when they do not raise the black out numbers the entire time of the cruise. Who does that? Of course they get the money and not their customers. When you did win, the payout was not very much considering. Same with the slot tournaments. 1st place does not mean you get to play in the end.

The pools were not warm enough to swim in for my comfort. The spa was so very expensive. My daughter won a drawing for $75 off a spa treatment. First the 90 min treatment included the time to disrobe, get on the table and their other interactions. Plus with their 18% tip her spa experience cost her double what you would pay anywhere else, at least.

Customer service was good from the general staff. But the customer service from "customer service" department was not good at all. We bought drinks for the margarita special. Was charged the fee, plus the 18% but when we got to our room and tasted it, one it had no alcohol that I could tell and two the drink was terrible. It took 3 trips to the customer service department, waiting in line each time, and then they still did not want to reimburse us for the bad service. Finally they did have the head bartender come down who made us 2 more drinks (we paid for 3). I can't tell you how much time it took for all this to happen.

I have a time share and there are times I get tired of getting hit up for money for different things. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Well I have never had it happen more then I did on the cruise.

The shows were certainly not the caliber I was expecting from a "luxury cruise line". Heard from other cruisers that may of the less expensive cruise lines had better food and shows.

Being with family is hard to beat and we enjoyed Alaska but I think next time we will fly in and rent a house.

Norwegian, we are really disappointed. We spoke with quite a few people and not one were very happy. I think you need to rethink your customer service. Improve your food for sure and make sure your staterooms look clean. Disappointed heart. This was the last thing on my "bucket list". Waited a long time for an expensive trip that let us down. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8th floor

Best place to be, mid-ship with balcony, especially when we had rough seas. The balcony made this trip so much nicer then being in a closed small room. However, the couch was really dirty. Our cabin steward, Sergio, made our stay so much nicer. There wasn't anything we wanted that he tried to do for us and always with a smile and a greeting. He should be promoted to customer service. They could learn from him. The one thing that I think would help, especially in the cold, is lap blankets for the balcony. Sergio promptly brought us a blanket but it was white and big. Something more suitable for the situation would probably be more cost effective.

Whale Watching

The whale watching was amazing. The captain did so much to make our 2 hours as memorable as possible. We saw humpbacks playing and feeding then an uncommon sight of about 20 or so orka feeding. So much fun. However the cruise line said they had the best prices....not so. We paid about 1/2 of what they were charging for a nice boat that held about 12 of us. It had an inside cabin with drinks. A lot of time for great pictures.

Flightseeing

Booked on our own again for a better price then the cruise line quoted. The glaciers were amazing, with the stories and the history. The eagles put on quite a show. They were everywhere. The salmon were in such numbers and amazing to watch.

Scenic Drive

(3)

Took a jeep and van driving to Emerald Lake in Canada. Was beautiful country but there were no animals to be seen. May do something different next time.