Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by shopgirl3: All cruises are good cruises!

shopgirl3
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

All cruises are good cruises!

Sail Date: August 2014

Just returned this past Saturday from the Getaway. We booked at 7:30pm the night prior to the cruise. We arrived rather late at 2:00, but our embarkation was a breeze. There is only one parking structure..so it was a little hike to our terminal, but DH reminded me that it was good to start walking off some calories!

We had a balcony cabin, tried to get a suite, but it was at that late of time, in guarantee mode, and we would much rather be closer to an elevator than get a suite! Our cabin was nice, typical standard size with a nice sized shower. I immediately noticed that our cabin was not as clean as it should have been. There remained a lot of fingerprints and handprints on our closet doors, and on the inside of our glass balcony railing. The curtains had gross dirty spots in them and the carpet had stains!! Obviously our room had not been wipes down properly...and I am not a not a nut job about stuff, but I do like to start out with a room that has been sanitized between More guests! We were in cabin 9778.

If we ever went on this ship again we would definitely pick a port side, aft cabin! The fireworks could be seen from the port side only, and we did try to go to Spice H2O to see them, but let me tell you, 4000 cannot fit! Also the White Party was impossible! This ship does not have any large open areas to accommodate passengers in mass. Deck 15 is composed of pools, adult area (spice h2O) slides and ropes course! We went to a nice carving demo, and it was ridiculous where they had it. It was wedged between a pool and a little stage. The demo was great, but the place where they had it was crazy!!

Since we booked so late, I was worried we wouldn't be able to book any of the shows, but it wasn't a problem at all. As soon as we got into our cabin, I used the interactive TV to book everything. Legally Blonde was terrific, and the dance show was absolutely THE BEST! We also booked the illusionarium show $39 per person, and it was very good!

Food was pretty good overall, we enjoyed the Taste several nights, and went early to the Tropicana to have a dance floor table for the Dance Show! It was also terrific. We did a late night comedy show, and the comedian was very funny! We did spend a lot of time (and dollars) in the casino...met a lovely casino hostess Catherine, who was super sweet! Please say hi to her from Melinda.

Be sure to bring some good tennis shoes to do the ropes course...I didn't bring any, and missed out on it! We didn't do the slides, but they looked like fun! Be sure to wear a 1 piece suit ladies, for the slide that just drops you down. Swimsuits will probably be around your neck by the end!

Overall the cruise was very nice! If you are buying smokes or booze, do it in St. Thomas! There was a little shop just steps from the boat, I think it was the first one on the left...and they delivered right to the ship, and our steward delivered the nicely wrapped box right to our cabin the last night! As of last Saturday, US citizens are allowed $1600.00 per person from the US Virgin Islands. 1000 cigarettes and I believe it was 4 liters of alcohol EACH! If you buy stuff in other places we are allowed $800, and I think 100 cigarettes and 1 liter of booze. The $1600 and $800 are NOT combined!! We are always honest, and went over $147 of our combined $3200, and were prepared to pay duty! The US customs agent only asked us where everything was purchased and we told him St. Thomas, and he just passed us on!

We were told by everyone on the ship (I went and asked 2 people open the ship gift shop, and a clerk at guest services) we were only allowed $800 each. Last night of the cruise we got a bride about debarkation from guest services (our room steward didn't leave us one...and he is suppose to) and on this paper it did explain the customs requirement!!

We have been told on many cruises (been on about 20 now) that when you add a little extra to the bar tickets the waiter/bartender gets that amount directly into their own pocket. Otherwise all the gratuities the ship automatically adds goes into a pool, and splits among the staff. When we get a good waiter or bartender or whomever, we always add $1.00-$20.00 to the tab for them directly.

In the casino when you have gambled $1500 your drinks are comped! I am not a big drinker...maybe one beer, or one something per day, but when I reached free drink status in the casino, I went to the casino bar and asked for a Kahlua and cream! I was told I would have to pay extra for this! My DH and I just turned to each other and laughed! What a joke! I did pay the $1.44 for the drink, but after that I think I just got water in the casino! Slots were not paying off, most people were grumbling!! The pay schedule is terrible on video poker, but on most ships that is usually the case! I noticed that the craps tables pais 2x-4x odds, so,that is good for craps players! I did hit 1 good jackpot, and unfortunately I had to fill out an IRS form (yes, even at sea) but I broke even in the long run...I went to the casino desk and got an email address for HQ where they can send a report of my losses directly to me! We were on EPIC in January, and the report will show those dollars too! These losses will offset my win!

NCL is a great cruise line...I really love the EPIC, and the getaway is a nice ship! Entertainment was fantastic and the crew was very nice! Pig Bar (buffet) was pretty good, but was usually hot during the day. If you made an effort to find a cooler section it is possible! I would recommend eating your meals in one of the complimentary dining rooms...Tropicana when the dancing is happening, and the Savor and the Taste for immediate seating! We have eaten at all the other pay restaurants on our 2 Epic cruises, and we were not interested this cruise. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 9778

Very good cruise, nice ship!