Carnival Legend Cruise Review by mary

Member Name: mary
Email: mayfly511@yahoo.com
Cruise Date: February 2007
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: Carnival Legend Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Southern Caribbean
Join Date: Aug 2005 Posts: 76 Legend review 2/12/07 LONG!

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale the day before sailing. We were staying at the comfort suites airport/cruiseport. In the baggage area at the airport there is a bank of phones. Make sure you call the right comfort suites because there is one on SR 84 which is not the nicest area. Someone arrived to pick us up within 10 min. When we arrived at the hotel it was too early to check in so they let us leave our luggage in a secured area and we walked to lunch at the irish pub. The hotel was $179.00 per night with transportation from airport and to cruiseport and continental breakfast. Breakfast was mostly all carbohydrate selections with some apples. One of the girls in our party cannot eat wheat products so they got her a yogurt. I think the hotel is definitely overpriced . The room was just OK. I'm not particularly fussy with hotels but I think the room condition should have been better for the price. We wanted to get a taxi so we could arrive to the port early. The front desk told us that port authority did not allow anyone in the port until 11 am. We took the shuttle and arrived at 10:45 only to find many people already in line. We arrived at 10:45 and was on the lido deck with the first of many foo-foos in hand by 12 pm.

EMBARKATION DAY: Cool, rainy, winding. I guess that just about sums it up! First thing we did was to go to the purser's desk to request our balcony dividers be opened. They have a list with 20 slots and when that is filled up that is it.There must be one person from each room present to make the request. We had 3 balcony rooms on deck 6. Second thing we did was to book the supper club for Valentine's Day.Due to the weather, we had our muster inside. ROOMS:we had rooms 6255,6257,6259. After 2 phone calls on day 2 someone showed up to open our dividers. They secure them to the deck rail.Once opened, we had a huge balcony. Rooms were typical balcony rooms with plenty of space.

PHOTOGRAPHY: you know the drill! always taking your picture. They were accommodating when you said no -they disappeared. We did have some pictures taken in the lobby area.They were doing beach scenes one night. Well, we got down on the floor and then attempted to get up . Well it was quite humorous. I started laughing and before you knew it the whole lobby was laughing. That became a nightly ritual. In fact, there was one guy with his wife that would be there every night to watch us. We were 3 couples and the 3 of us girls were having foo-foos and decided to have pictures done together. Well that was a comedy in itself. The guy eventually told us that he was going to buy one of our pictures so we could autograph it so he could remember all the fun we had. DINING

ROOM:we were in the lower truffles dining room at table 160. We had CHI-CHI from turkey as head waitress and Atamaja as assistant waiter. They were the best we have ever had. Every night we were met with smiles and hugs. They added so much to our dining experience. At the end of the cruise, they both ended up with an extra tip and we gave ChiChi a diamond heart necklace and also spoke with maitre'D to inform him of the wonderful service we were provided.

SUPPER CLUB: one word awesome!!! allow yourself at least 2 hours. It is located on the 10 th floor away from the hustle and bustle. There is a piano player and a wonderful female vocalist. Words cannot describe how wonderful the food was and how excellent the service was. We were treated like royalty. Well worth the $30.00 per person charge.

FORMAL NIGHTS: 1st full day at sea and 3rd full day at sea( the day after St.Kitts) lobster the first formal night and prime rib the 2nd formal night. CAPTAIN'S PARTY: not worth going . it is held inthetheatre and the set up is really poor for that type of function.

SHIP:from what I've read on these boards I was expecting gaudy. I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, there are a lot of urns but after a while you didn't even notice them. The ship is very easy to navigate. This ship moves a lot. I have never felt so much movement before on any ship. I expected it the first couple of days because the weather was so nasty but even when the seas were calm the ship was still swaying.

POOLS:adults only pool and hot tub outside the spa area on the lido deck is definitely enforced. I was present twice to see security tell the kids to get out. I was impressed.

SHOWS: typical ship shows. The hypnotist was good and the legends show on the last night was great. Brent Mitchell (I think that was his name) is the cruise director and is very good at what he does. Jen is the assistant cruse director and she is humorous. We had her last year on the valor.

CASINO:I only play the slots and am not lucky at all. As usual,l I would have been better off just walking thru the casino and throwing my money on the floor and leaving. I did see people winning but that wasn't me.

ST.Martin: been there more than once and don't need to return. We did the See and Sea excursion thru carnival. Part of it was an island tour in air conditioned transportation and the other part was in a semi submersible where you could go below deck and watch the marine life. Good excursion. St. Lucia: we booked a private excursion with Cosol. He met us outside the security building as he said he would. There were 6 of us traveling together and we ended up in an air conditioned van with 2 other people so it was like we had our own private tour guide. It was a 5-6 hour tour and Cosol new that I was concerned abut getting back to the ship on time. NO PROBLEM! You name it, we saw it. We went to a rum distillery, rainforest, volcano, waterfall ,banana plantation among other places. He even stopped so we could do some island shopping. We tasted a lot of the island foods. He kept us supplied in beverages- water, soda, rum punch or island beer.The cost of the tour was $45.00 payable upon the completion of the tour when you arrived back at port (in plenty of time to spare) EXCELLENT TOUR- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) St. KITTS: impoverished is all I can say. We booked the train tour thru carnival for $99.00 per person . Tour 3 1/2 hours. Do not waste your money. I thought it was way over priced and shared those comments with carnival. There were some very good picture opportunities from the train but that is the only positive I can say.

DEBARKATION DAY: we did not do the self debarkation but it seemed like the line went very quickly. It started around 7:30am. We waited until they called our color tags and was off the ship by 9:30 and at the airport by 9:45. We purchased the airport transfer thru carnival but I noticed many taxis waiting outside to provide transportation. I went back to work the following day and by 9am the vacation was sucked right out of me. I'm anxiously waiting for our next cruise to the western caribbean in 350 days and waiting to book the mexican riviera for 2/09 when it opens. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them. We had an awesome time and can't wait to do the doc dance again!

Publication Date: 02/28/07