Carnival Pride Cruise Review by tmdl20: Fabulous time on the Pride!!

tmdl20
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Fabulous time on the Pride!!

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

We sailed on the Pride on August 17th. It was our first cruise and certainly won't be our last. I read a ton about this ship and cruising in general... Thanks Cruise Critic!... So I felt very well prepared.

Embarkation: We paid the fifty bucks for Faster to the Fun. It was worth it. We sat for less than half an hour before boarding and went straight to our room. Our steward said he still had to vacuum, but was happy to let us leave our carry on luggage. The rest of our luggage arrived in minutes, except for mine. I'd packed a power bar and they'd taken it out, which delayed my suitcase's arrival. We were able to walk around and grab some food before many other people were on board.

Debarkation: Our floor was scheduled to debark last at 10:50am. Because we had the Faster to the Fun, we were off second, just after the diamond and platinum group. We were in our car and on our way home by 9:30am. We had an eight hour drive home, so this alone was worth the $50! More

Food: The breakfast was buffet style and had a good variety. Everything from salmon and eggs benedict, made to order omelets, cereal, muffins, etc. Coffee was also really good... Thanks goodness because I'm a big coffee drinker. Lunch was just okay. It reminded me of food court food, but it fed us. Supper in the dining room was always fantastic! Great ambiance, excellent wait staff, wonderful food choices that were delicious, and not once did we have a mistake in what we ordered. But, the ultimate food on the ship was at David's Steakhouse. Seriously amazing! Yes, you pay $35/person off it, but I'm not sure I've ever had better food!

Entertainment: There were numerous activities going on on the ship every day.

Pool Decks: We tended to spend time with our kids on the Lido deck around the pool during the morning. There's a smoking pool area and a non-smoking pool area... Loved that because I hate the smell of smoke. We often sent our offspring to Camp Carnival for the afternoon so we could enjoy the adult only Sernenity deck and pool. We met some great people there... My favourite place on the ship.

Active Fun: My kids really enjoyed the basketball court, the mini-putt, the giant chess game, and the ping pong table (despite the elderly woman who hogged one of tables and was quite nasty to every child who came anywhere near it all week long... Not cool!)

Shows: There were shows every evening in the theatre room, The Taj Mahal. We saw three of them. My husband ended up participating in the first evening's show. We had to dress him up in my clothes and he went on stage like that. We all had a great laugh! The funniest is that they played it on TV many times throughout the week. He was recognized constantly... Lol! We really enjoyed the a Legends show. It was held on the last night and guests had been chosen to sing dressed up like legends. Great fun! Our favourite entertainment though were the comedians. We attended both family friendly and adult only shows... They were all hilarious. My 9 year old is still quoting parts of the comics' shows now almost a week later. Great comics!!

Room: We were very lucky to score the "bowling alley" balcony. There are four rooms on the ship that are located beside the steward's supply room, so they have balconies that are three times the length of the others. I spent time out there reading every morning until the rest of my family woke up. So relaxing. Our steward cleaned our room twice a day. He always did a great job and left us the cutest animal towels... And chocolates!! We are a family of four and we had plenty of room. The only issue we had, which was not Carnival's fault, was that there was a wedding party staying in the room above us who partied one night mid-week until after four in the morning. I called twice to complain. Guest services followed up not once, but twice, afterwards to make sure things improved. I was impressed. Other then that night, our room was quiet. We all had great sleeps in their comfy beds. No complaints here!

Ports:

Florida: We did not get off the ship in Florida.

Nassau: In Nassau, we booked our own excursion with Stuart's Cove. I'd found them on Trip Advisor. I did not have to prepay. They picked us up an hour and fifteen minutes after we arrived, at 12:15, right near the ship, and dropped us off two hours before departure at 6pm in the same spot. We snorkelled at two different reefs, which were amazing, and then went to a third spot to snorkel with reef sharks. That was something I will never forget! The excursion cost $258 total for the four of us, which was way cheaper than most Carnival excursions would cost, so I highly recommend them.

Freeport: We took a taxi to the beach, which cost $14/person return. We were going to go to the marketplace and the beach at Great Lucayana, but our driver convinced us to go to Junkanoo, aka Taino, Beach. We had a good time, but it was not the greatest beach. Lots of garbage, rocks, and pushy people. I really wish we'd have stuck with our plan.

Overall: Many reviews put down the Pride, but we had a fabulous time. The Rennaissance art featured many nudes, but we had laughs at them. The decor, in my opinion, was beautiful. The ship layout was easy to figure out and navigate. The staff offered to take photos or sell us drinks on Lido, but were not pushy. And, everyone was upbeat and friendly... All there to have a good time. The only, and I mean only, problem we really had all week was that guest services did not give us our wake up call on the Freeport morning. We scheduled one for 6am since we were only in port from 7-1:30 and wanted to maximize our time. I woke I'll at 7:30 and was not at all happy. I called to complain, but never heard anything more about it, which I found odd since they had checked back with us twice after the upstairs neighbours had been noisy. But, really, if that's the only complaint I have of the entire week, so what?! We had an amazing time!!

Going on a cruise was a big bucket list item for me. Despite sailing during hurricane season, we had perfect weather every day. It truly couldn't have been a more prefect vacation. I've been home a day and am already looking into booking another one in early 2016. Can't wait!! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Empress 6232

Bowling alley balcony... Fabulous room!! We were very lucky to score the "bowling alley" balcony. There are four rooms on the ship that are located beside the steward's supply room, so they have balconies that are three times the length of the others. I spent time out there reading every morning until the rest of my family woke up. So relaxing. Our steward cleaned our room twice a day. He always did a great job and left us the cutest animal towels... And chocolates!! We are a family of four and we had plenty of room. It was close to the dining room, the Mermaid Grill, and Serenity, but far from Club Carnival child care. The only issue we had, which was not Carnival's fault, was that there was a wedding party staying in the room above us who partied one night mid-week until after four in the morning. I called twice to complain. Guest services followed up not once, but twice, afterwards to make sure things improved. I was impressed. Other then that night, our room was quiet. We all had great sleeps in their comfy beds. No complaints here!

In Freeport, we took a taxi to the beach, which cost $14/person return. We were going to go to the marketplace and the beach at Great Lucayana, but our driver convinced us to go to Junkanoo, aka Taino, Beach. We had a good time, but it was not the greatest beach. Lots of garbage, rocks, and pushy people. I really wish we'd have stuck with our plan.

Read 781 Freeport Reviews