Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by sandegor: Not bad....but not again!

sandegor
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.3
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Western Caribbean Cruises

Not bad....but not again!

Sail Date: August 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

First off, my family won this cruise through an online travel planning site so we didn't have to pay anything. So, for the fact that it was free was good. We're a family of 5 so finding places that accommodate 5 people is sometimes tricky and I was surprised that Carnival did. However, our room was so small and tiny that at times I felt claustrophobic and there was not enough storage space for our stuff. Also, our air conditioning was broken the whole week so they gave us a fan to use instead (not impressed!).

As for the rest of the ship I went with an open mind because of the reviews I read and, sadly, this will be the last Carnival cruise we'll take. This was our 2nd cruise with Carnival and we sailed with RC before. This ship is on the smaller side and I feel it doesn't cater to the younger children at all, expcept for the camp/daycare. Yes, there are 3 water slides (if you're over 42" in height) and an outdoor sports park but that's about it for kids. At night I was More hoping for more things for our kids, ages 11, 10 and 6 to do but it was limited. The comedy shows were good but they were often crowded and the jokes went over my kids head. The live shows were excellent, however.

The food for breakfast was the same things over and over again that we got pretty tired of the selection. It would have been nice if they had one or two featured dishes every morning just to break up the sameness. We had early dining at 6:00pm and the service was great but the food was just okay. It came to our table warm (not hot) and it was just average. We were disappointed with this as this was one thing my family was looking forward to.

One of my biggest complaints was that they allowed smoking on the ship in the casino! I could not believe it! Going through the casino was a way to get to one of the entertainment areas or to the promenade so my kids had to go through all that smoke. In this day and age you would think that all ships would be smoke-free......it's not healthy, especially for little kids to be exposed to it. Not impressed!

Overall, my family had a good time but we'll be sailing with RC from now on! Less

Published 08/30/14

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Family Room1537

Good location on the ship but WAY TOO SMALL for a family of 5. Would be comfortable for 2 adults, max!

Cave-Tubing Adventure

Excellent customer service and an amazing excursion. The prices were better, the food was delicious and the caves were breathtaking!

Beach Day

We went to Tabyana Beach for this excursion and it was one of the nicest beaches I've been to. The water is crystal clear and the snorkelling is AMAZING! There are tons of vendors which can be annoying but we enjoyed our day a lot!