Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Stan_Cooper: No major complaints for Celebrity and really loved Bermuda

Stan_Cooper
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

No major complaints for Celebrity and really loved Bermuda

Sail Date: August 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

This cruise kind of fell on our laps, being exactly at the right time, to a destination we wanted to visit, a really reasonable price, out of a port that was easy for us to get to via Toronto, and a line that we wanted to try. We lucked out during booking, as we were the very last people to book an inside stateroom, and as such we were assigned to an accessible room. It was way bigger than the last inside room I booked in.

We flew in the evening before sailing, so I booked a room at the Hilton Newark Airport, which was reasonably priced. I have used Dial 7 many times before, and they were just as prompt and fairly priced as always. We were picked up from the hotel at 10:45, and we walked into the buffet on deck 10 at exactly noon. The shuttle bus operation at the terminal is kind of a nuisance, but otherwise everything was fine.

I found the company exemplified itself in terms of customer service during this cruise. The people we interacted with were unfailingly More polite and professional. There were many onboard activities, but we most frequently were engaged in musical pursuits (either watching the onboard entertainment, or singing karaoke.)

In Bermuda we did our own thing every day, all self-guided. The day we arrived was a Wednesday, so I made it our mission to go to Harbour Nights in Hamilton. We weren't disappointed it was small, but a lot of fun! If I was planning it all again, the second day I would take the ferry to St. George's, do some sightseeing and have lunch, then in the afternoon I would pick up a one day scooter rental and drive it back to the ship, making stops along the way as you see fit. This would set you up nicely to drive yourself to the beach on Friday morning. I had heard from our fellow passengers that the Horseshoe Bay beach was a complete zoo on Wednesday. We visited briefly on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning, and really didn't find it that busy. Friday afternoon we returned our scooter then did some shopping in the craft market, and sat outside having a pint and listening to an awesome guitar player at Bone Fish Grill. Around 30 minutes before the last call for boarding we dropped our souvenirs at the stateroom and then went up to deck ten to grab a beer and watch the runners.

Disembarkation was staged from Rendez-Vous lounge on deck 4. We arrived there at 06:50 while docking was still in progress. I believe we were the very first passengers to get a taxi, and arrived at the Newark airport terminal at 08:00.

On food, here is the excerpt of my post-cruise survey I sent to Celebrity:

Food quality - Excellent food is very important to us, and Celebrity has not won my loyalty this time around. Food in the Cosmopolitan was consistently good, but rarely excellent. I know what I paid for this cruise, and it really was an exceptional value in that respect, but I didn't think it was a cut above my previous experiences on three other lines. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 2031

Great cabin, really comfortable, REALLY noisy if you like sleeping in! Everything was awesome except the noisy children of our neighbours.

I've only cruised to a few ports in warmer areas. We really like King's Wharf. The immediate area is clean and feels safe. It doesn't have a huge selection of shops and dining spots, but what we sampled there was really good. I didn't feel like there was much tourist gouging going on either (perhaps the whole island is one big tourist gouge?) The prices around the dock were fairly consistent with the rest of the island.