Azamara Journey Cruise Review by KCCDIVER: Spectacular Norwegian Fjords Cruise

Spectacular Norwegian Fjords Cruise

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Hamburg

This was my first time sailing with Azamara and my second time on a smaller ship (my 6th cruise since 2005). My first cruise was on the Paul Gaugin doing French Polynesia back in 2005 - it only had about 350 guests and was considered luxury so I'm not really comparing the two cruises.

Anyway, I chose this cruise because of dates and itinerary having to go to a conference in Copenhagen which actually meant we had to leave the cruise a couple of days early. I have to say I have been intrigued by the Norwegian Fjords since I was a kid but have actually travelled a lot in Europe and have been to Sweden.

I loved the ship and the itinerary - the captain was outstanding at connecting and making the guests feels like he was giving us a personal tour of his homeland. The food was very good sometimes better than celebrity but not always. I like wine and was very happy with the selections and the flexibility with them. The amazing evening was fun and unique but others who've More done more of them found it lacking. On reflection I can understand why. Loved the friendliness of all the people interested in meeting others all throughout the cruise not just the first days. Have to attribute this to a smaller boat and the way the staff enhance the experience. The only negatives was the size of the spa, my only treatment ( a good deal) was disappointing - felt like the masseuse was novice), and the fact that to use the forward hot tub you had to pay extra or be having a treatment. Gym was fine especially considering size of the ship. Entertainment was very good.

My only other negative was that I took a private dance lesson and my instructors were insensitive to having the lesson in a public space that was filling up and watching me. I made clear my feelings and had to end early - I thought they would try and make it up to me (hinting broadly) but they made no efforts to do so.

This was the only negative in service I can think of.

If you like to play texas holdem - forget about it in this casino. They held two days of tournaments which were fun but pathetic compared to others I've been in on NCL and Celebrity Reflection.

All in all would travel on Azamara again if I can find the great kind of unique itinerary and great deal I got on this cruise! Less

Read more Azamara Journey cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azamara Journey Review >>

Cabin review: Azamara Journey 7084

The cabin was not huge but well designed and comfortable. I was ok with bathroom design too. We were on floor 7 near the rear elevators which was very convenient. No noise.