Aegean Odyssey Cruise Review by colonial annie: New Itinerary Not a Disappointment!

Aegean Odyssey 5
colonial annie
Member Since 2011

Overall Member Rating

New Itinerary Not a Disappointment!

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Europe - Black Sea
Embarkation: Istanbul

The 5* Grand Hyatt was all it should be. Breakfast (we ate outside) was included and had tons of delicious offerings. Sometimes it was hard to get coffee refills & they only offered orange juice even though I could see other juices which we had to specifically ask for. The outdoor dining by the pool was super - best thin crust, hand-made, brick oven pizza I have ever had!

This voyage cannot really be compared to previous ones because, due to changes in the itinerary, the ship was only half full. While I was looking forward to the Russia & Ukraine ports I must say the Greek ports were spectacular! No regrets.

The ship's staff, with only one exception, was excellent. Our room was certainly large enough (we had storage we didn't use). The bathroom and storage were a cut above our previous Oceania voyages.

The Ambassador lounge had some of the most uncomfortable seating I have ever experienced. Don't know what they do on a full voyage as the screen is More positioned so only a portion of the audience can see it.

Dining, not the food, was a disappointment. Because of the small number of passengers we could only use the formal dining room 3 times for dinner. Many passengers decided that since we were not in a formal dining room they could dress like they were at the beach for formal ala carte dinners served in the other dining room. Wine flowed freely (at no additional charge). We really missed Oceania's large tables where we could enjoy many people at dinner.

Best bacon I have ever had on a cruise - stir-frys & Indian buffet were great too.

The excursions were excellent. Guides well informed, buses comfortable - everything very well organized (at no additional charge).

Laundry, bar and internet fees were very reasonable. Oceania charged $.99/min., AG charges $.10/min. As on many cruises it took many minutes to log on (if at all).

For some reason it seemed more difficult to get to know our fellow passengers than on previous cruises.

Unlike other reviews, we had no difficulty with the airconditioning. Less

Published 08/26/14

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?